Formula doesn't work unless hit enter again

Old October 8th 08, 02:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Whois Clinton

Default Formula doesn't work unless hit enter again

Hi,
I have the formula below to calculate percentage of gains. It has been
dragged through approximately 70 rows. It has been working fine automaticall
calculating as I enter the data in columns K,L,M. However, today as I
continue entering data the formula does not automatically calculate. i have
to click the cell, place the cursor in the formula bar and then press enter.
i change nothing in the formula, but simply bringing it into formula bar and
pressing enter the formula then works.

Is it a fluke? I have tried reopening it but the problem persists.

Thanks in advance,
Clint

=((M27-K27)*100)/K27
Old October 8th 08, 02:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike H

Sounds like calculation has switched to manual.

Tools|Options|Calculation Tab.

Select automatic.

Mike

Old October 8th 08, 03:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Whois Clinton

That was exactly it. Any idea why that happened. I know I didn't
intentionally change that.

Old October 8th 08, 03:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike H

It remembers the setting of the first workbook opened in that session so if
that was manual calc then they all will be until you change it back

Old October 8th 08, 05:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Tools>Options>Calculation can be Auto or Manual.

Excel takes the Calculation mode each session from the settings on the first
workbook opened in that session.

i.e. If you saved Book1 with calc mode in manual and opened it first, calc
mode would be in Manual.

If you saved Book2 with calc mode in auto and opened it after Book1, Book2
would be in manual mode(Excel ignores the auto calc mode in this case).

If you close Book1 before opening Book2, Book2 will be in auto calc mode.

Confusing enough? <g>

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 07:19:02 -0700, Whois Clinton

Old October 8th 08, 05:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Whois Clinton

Ok thanks again for your time and info

Old June 4th 10, 05:06 PM
njmikec njmikec is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Had the same problem just now. Excel 2003 SP3. Formula in G2 was =IF(ISBLANK(F2),B2,F2). Fairly simple.

AutoCalc set to ON. F9 did nothing. Shift+F9 did nothing. Alt+Shift+F9 did nothing, etc.

Even though F2 is blank, until I actually placed the cursor in the formula bar and hit enter, the formula in G2 did not display the needed value.

Workaround that worked for me was to sort so that all blank F column cells were easily accessible, place the cursor in the formula bar and hit enter in one cell (F2 for example). Copy F2 and Paste Special/Values in the remaining blank F column cells.

This worked for me. Hope it works for you too. All the best -