find & copy data from most recent entry

Old October 3rd 08, 02:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default find & copy data from most recent entry

I have a spreadsheet with date & time of entry in column B. Column D
has text data. I want to find the most recent entry (data is not
neccessarily entered in consective rows) and copy the data in Column D
for that row to another cell (E1 in this case).

For example:

B D
8/28/08 8:17 PM RSW
8/28/08 8:18 PM MB
8/28/08 8:15 PM TF
8/28/08 8:16 PM WW

I need a formula that would copy the data in D2 (the most recent row)
and put it into E1. As time goes on this spreadsheet will have several
hundred rows of data so I need to be able to automatically find the
most recent entry.

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Old October 3rd 08, 03:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Oct 2, 8:56*pm, Dave Peterson > wrote:
> I think...
>
> In E1:
>
> =index(d2:d999,match(max(b2:b999),b2:b999,0))
>
> Adjust the ranges to match or use the entire column:
> =index(d:d,match(max(b:b),b:b,0))
>

> wrote:
>
> > I have a spreadsheet with date & time of entry in column B. Column D
> > has text data. I want to find the most recent entry (data is not
> > neccessarily entered in consective rows) and copy the data in Column D
> > for that row to another cell (E1 in this case).

> > For example:

> > * * * * * * * *B * * * * * * * * * * * * * * D
> > 8/28/08 8:17 PM * * * * * * * * * RSW
> > 8/28/08 8:18 PM * * * * * * * * * * MB
> > 8/28/08 8:15 PM * * * * * * * * * * TF
> > 8/28/08 8:16 PM * * * * * * * * * *WW

> > I need a formula that would copy the data in D2 (the most recent row)
> > and put it into E1. As time goes on this spreadsheet will have several
> > hundred rows of data so I need to be able to automatically find the
> > most recent entry.

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Brian

> --
>
> Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

Yes, that does exactly what I wanted! Thank you!