create a thematic chart, to show different classes of data

Old September 3rd 08, 09:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Bus user

Default create a thematic chart, to show different classes of data

I need to show the same basic data (in my case, journey times), but colour
coded or with labels to show different categories (in my eg, to show which
journeys can be extended to the City & which require a change of bus).
Childishly easy to conceptualise & surely not too difficult to do, but how?
Old September 4th 08, 11:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Bob Phillips[_3_]

The way to do it is to create a series to represent each category.

For example, supposing the values to be charted were

Name Amt
a 24
b 29
c 10
d 45
e 44
f 99
g 66
h 91
i 25
j 60

and you want values <=20 to be red, 21-50, blue and >50 green

in extra columns headed say Amt Red, Amt Green, Amt Blue, add formulae of

=IF(B2<=20,B2,NA())
=IF(AND(B2>20,B2<=50),B2,NA())
=IF(B2>50,B2,NA())

then build your chart with the source data coming fform columns A, C, D & E.

Then just format each series to your desired colour.

--
HTH

Bob