how to extract digits from a row of numbers

Old September 3rd 08, 05:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
preydd

Default how to extract digits from a row of numbers

I have these data in a column:
5100-10650 sales
5100-11250 sales

How can I extract only 10650 and 11250 and present it in another column?

Thanks.
Old September 3rd 08, 06:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
pub

=?Utf-8?B?cHJleWRk?= > wrote in
news
> I have these data in a column:
> 5100-10650 sales
> 5100-11250 sales
>
> How can I extract only 10650 and 11250 and present it in another

column?

> Thanks.

theres a lot of ways to do this.
is it always a 5 digit number?
this will extract the number

=MID(A1,FIND("-",A1)+1,5)

this will turn it into a number value

=VALUE(MID(A1,FIND("-",A1)+1,5))

if its more than 5 digits, then look for the word sales and work backward

=VALUE(MID(A1,FIND("-",A1)+1,FIND("sales",A1)-7))

hope this helps
Old September 3rd 08, 04:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RagDyeR

If the number of characters are *exactly* as your example, try this:

=LEFT(RIGHT(A1,11),5)

OR

=LEFT(RIGHT(TRIM(A1),11),5)
--