Calculate hours worked minus a half hour for lunch

Old August 28th 08, 03:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Danedel

Default Calculate hours worked minus a half hour for lunch

I'm trying to find the formula to calculate the employee hours worked in a
given day allowing for a half hour lunch. The time card entry looks like:

Time in: 6:00
Time out: 14:30
I want the answer to be 8
Old August 28th 08, 03:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier[_3_]

Hi

Excel stores times as fractions of a day, so 1 hour is 1/24, hence half hour
is 1/48
With Start time in A1 and End Time in B1
=B1-A1-1/48
For the cells with the formula, Format>Cells>Number>Custom>hh:mm

If you need to Sum the hours derived by the formula, format that cell as
[h]:mm to allow it to accumulate past 24 hours.

If your start and end times are likely to span over 2 days, then use
=MOD(B1-A1,1)-1/48

--
Regards
Roger Govier

Old August 28th 08, 11:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Fred Smith[_4_]

And, if you want the formula to be clearer that it's 30 minutes, use:

=b1-a1-time(0,30,0)

Regards,
Fred.

Old August 29th 08, 01:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom[_2_]

Or just

=B1-A1-"00:30"

Peo Sjoblom