Calculating Total Return

Old August 22nd 08, 01:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
TimH

Default Calculating Total Return

I have a series of monthly returns (%) for an investment portfolio (let's
call them x,y and z). I would like to convert them to a total return (TR)
such that TR=(1+x)*(1+y)*(1+z)-1. But there are a lot of them and I dont
want to have to type such a gigantic formula. Also, I would like it to be
maleable, so that I can select a range (say the last 3 yrs of monthly
returns) to get the TR and then simply expand the selection to get the TR of
the last 5 yrs of monthly returns. Any ideas?
Old August 22nd 08, 01:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK

Use SUMPRODUCT. Here is a link to a very similar question asked
yesterday in another group:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...74cf4bc56b298a

Hope this helps.

Pete

Old August 22nd 08, 02:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
smartin

Pete_UK wrote:
> Use SUMPRODUCT. Here is a link to a very similar question asked
> yesterday in another group:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...74cf4bc56b298a
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete
>
> On Aug 22, 1:12 am, TimH > wrote:
>> I have a series of monthly returns (%) for an investment portfolio (let's
>> call them x,y and z). I would like to convert them to a total return (TR)
>> such that TR=(1+x)*(1+y)*(1+z)-1. But there are a lot of them and I dont
>> want to have to type such a gigantic formula. Also, I would like it to be
>> maleable, so that I can select a range (say the last 3 yrs of monthly
>> returns) to get the TR and then simply expand the selection to get the TR of
>> the last 5 yrs of monthly returns. Any ideas?

Excellent reference, Pete!