How can I delete a space in the beginning of a cell...

Old August 20th 08, 09:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GSimone

Default How can I delete a space in the beginning of a cell...

I'm copying text (data) from Word to Excel 2003 and it's bringing in a space
in the beginning of the cell, such as "_John Smith". What's the quickest
and/or easiest way I can delete this? Obviously, I don't want to get rid of
the space in between words, just in the beginning of the cell.
Old August 20th 08, 09:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK

You can apply a formula in a helper column and then copy it down. If
your data is in A1, then you will need this formula:

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)

or this one:

=TRIM(A1)

The second one will only remove normal spaces that have the ASCII code
of 32, whereas the first one will remove the first character even if
it is the non-breaking space (code 160).

Hope this helps.

Pete