How to spill over into a "" cell?

Old July 10th 08, 03:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Michael R

Default How to spill over into a "" cell?

I'm building a horizontal flexible calendar, a couple of months next to each
other, the start date being an input variable eg 28/06/2008.

The column width is just enough to display the DAY.

Row 1 has the dates starting with "input variable" (this row will be hidden
in the final presentation)

Row 2 if day = 1 display the month / year eg "July 2008". I use
=if(day(A1)=1,text(A1,"mmmm yyyy"),""), copied across all columns

Row 3 has the days eg 28 29 30 01 02 03 (=A1, formatted "dd")

The problem is in row 2: the column width is too narrow to display "July
2008". I would like this to spill over into following columns; however that
does not happen, because the column of day 02 contains a "", not a true empty
cell.
Old July 10th 08, 03:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

You cannot spill text over if the adjacent cell has anything in it.

Re-design.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:07:02 -0700, Michael R

Old July 10th 08, 06:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Sharpe

Gord Dibben wrote:
> You cannot spill text over if the adjacent cell has anything in it.
>
> Re-design.
>

> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
>

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:07:02 -0700, Michael R
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm building a horizontal flexible calendar, a couple of months next to each
>> other, the start date being an input variable eg 28/06/2008.
>>
>> The column width is just enough to display the DAY.
>>
>> Row 1 has the dates starting with "input variable" (this row will be hidden
>> in the final presentation)
>>
>> Row 2 if day = 1 display the month / year eg "July 2008". I use
>> =if(day(A1)=1,text(A1,"mmmm yyyy"),""), copied across all columns
>>
>> Row 3 has the days eg 28 29 30 01 02 03 (=A1, formatted "dd")
>>
>> The problem is in row 2: the column width is too narrow to display "July
>> 2008". I would like this to spill over into following columns; however that
>> does not happen, because the column of day 02 contains a "", not a true empty
>> cell.

Gord is right.
Some suggestions:
Slightly wider column?
Smaller font size?
Use "Arial Narrow" font?

Bill
Old July 11th 08, 09:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Michael R

Thanks, Gord and Bill for your explanations and suggestions.

My current work-around:
across the whole row (row 2 in my below exlpanation)
=MID(TEXT(U3,"mmmm yyyy"),DAY(U3),1)
where U3 is one of the cells holding a date

It is not as "beautifully" formatted as it would have been in one single
cell with proportional font but still acceptable.