A Microsoft Excel forum. ExcelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ExcelBanter forum » Excel Newsgroups » Charts and Charting in Excel
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Getting text and grid at a 45 degree angle



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 7th 08, 06:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
clemsongirl
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Getting text and grid at a 45 degree angle

I'm trying to create an affordance structure matrix (if anyone actually knows
what that is!). It has a regular grid and then a grid above it, rotated 45
degrees. I know how to rotate the text, but that only gives me the grid lines
for half of the grid. When I change the grid lines to diagonal, I can't put
marks in all of the squares. Can you do what I want in Excel or do I have to
use a drawing program?
Ads
  #2  
Old July 8th 08, 10:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,489
Default Getting text and grid at a 45 degree angle

Hi,

It may be possible to draw the gridlines and markers using additional series
plotted as xy scatter chart.
If you need more help can you post a link to an example of one of these
chart styles?

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"clemsongirl" > wrote in message
...
> I'm trying to create an affordance structure matrix (if anyone actually
> knows
> what that is!). It has a regular grid and then a grid above it, rotated 45
> degrees. I know how to rotate the text, but that only gives me the grid
> lines
> for half of the grid. When I change the grid lines to diagonal, I can't
> put
> marks in all of the squares. Can you do what I want in Excel or do I have
> to
> use a drawing program?


  #3  
Old July 8th 08, 01:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,582
Default Getting text and grid at a 45 degree angle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:A...of_Quality.png

Check the peak at the top of the "house", and the smaller addition on the
left wing.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
_______


"Andy Pope" > wrote in message
...
> Hi,
>
> It may be possible to draw the gridlines and markers using additional
> series plotted as xy scatter chart.
> If you need more help can you post a link to an example of one of these
> chart styles?
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info
> "clemsongirl" > wrote in message
> ...
>> I'm trying to create an affordance structure matrix (if anyone actually
>> knows
>> what that is!). It has a regular grid and then a grid above it, rotated
>> 45
>> degrees. I know how to rotate the text, but that only gives me the grid
>> lines
>> for half of the grid. When I change the grid lines to diagonal, I can't
>> put
>> marks in all of the squares. Can you do what I want in Excel or do I have
>> to
>> use a drawing program?

>



  #4  
Old July 8th 08, 07:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,489
Default Getting text and grid at a 45 degree angle

Thanks for that link Jon.

So it should be possible, but not easy, to create those lines and
markers using a fistful of additional xy series.

Cheers
Andy

Jon Peltier wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:A...of_Quality.png
>
> Check the peak at the top of the "house", and the smaller addition on the
> left wing.
>
> - Jon
> -------
> Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
> _______
>
>
> "Andy Pope" > wrote in message
> ...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>It may be possible to draw the gridlines and markers using additional
>>series plotted as xy scatter chart.
>>If you need more help can you post a link to an example of one of these
>>chart styles?
>>
>>Cheers
>>Andy
>>
>>--
>>
>>Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>>http://www.andypope.info
>>"clemsongirl" > wrote in message
...
>>
>>>I'm trying to create an affordance structure matrix (if anyone actually
>>>knows
>>>what that is!). It has a regular grid and then a grid above it, rotated
>>>45
>>>degrees. I know how to rotate the text, but that only gives me the grid
>>>lines
>>>for half of the grid. When I change the grid lines to diagonal, I can't
>>>put
>>>marks in all of the squares. Can you do what I want in Excel or do I have
>>>to
>>>use a drawing program?

>>

>
>


--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
  #5  
Old July 8th 08, 08:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Peter T
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,600
Default Getting text and grid at a 45 degree angle

Maybe draw diagonal lines over cells if(?) the idea is something along the
lines of putting some symbols in the grid. Then use the Camara method (copy
range, Shift-Edit, Paste picture link), to place the diamond cell grid over
the chart or some other range, positioned as needs.

A little macro to draw the lines -
In a new sheet, for testing, experiment with rTopLeft, 'wide', row/column
heights, and some appropriate Font

Sub DiamondRoof()
Dim i As Long, j As Long, cnt As Long
Dim wide As Long
Dim L2 As Double, T2 As Double
Dim rTopLeft As Range, c1 As Range, c2 As Range
Dim shps As Shapes, shLine As Shape

'uncomment for testing
' ActiveSheet.Lines.Delete
' ActiveSheet.GroupObjects.Delete

Set rTopLeft = Range("B2") '<< CHange, where to put it
wide = 9 '<< Change, how big

Set shps = ActiveSheet.Shapes

With rTopLeft

With .Resize(wide + 1, wide * 2 + 1)
.Borders.LineStyle = xlNone
.Interior.ColorIndex = xlAutomatic ' remove gridlines
.HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter
.VerticalAlignment = xlCenter
.ColumnWidth = 2.38 ' << adjust
.RowHeight = 17.25 ' << adjust
End With

For i = 1 To wide + 1

' up to right line
Set c1 = .Cells(wide + 2, i * 2 - 1)
Set c2 = .Cells(i, wide + i)
With c2
L2 = .Left + .Width / 2
T2 = .Top + .Height / 2
End With
With c1
Set shLine = shps.AddLine(.Left, .Top, L2, T2)
End With

' down to right line
Set c1 = .Cells(wide + 2, i * 2)
Set c2 = .Cells(wide + 2 - i, i)
With c2
L2 = .Left + .Width / 2
T2 = .Top + .Height / 2
End With
With c1
Set shLine = shps.AddLine(.Left, .Top, L2, T2)
End With
Next

Set c1 = .Cells(wide + 2, 1)
Set c2 = .Cells(wide + 2, wide * 2 + 2)

With c2
L2 = .Left
T2 = .Top
End With

' bottom line
With c1
Set shLine = shps.AddLine(.Left, .Top, L2, T2)
End With

End With


ReDim arr(1 To wide * 2 + 3)
cnt = shps.Count
j = 0
For i = cnt - (wide * 2 + 3) + 1 To cnt
j = j + 1
arr(j) = i
Next

With shps.Range(arr)
.Line.ForeColor.SchemeColor = 7 + 16
' any other formats
.Group
End With

End Sub

Regards,
Peter T



"Andy Pope" > wrote in message
...
> Thanks for that link Jon.
>
> So it should be possible, but not easy, to create those lines and
> markers using a fistful of additional xy series.
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> Jon Peltier wrote:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:A...of_Quality.png
> >
> > Check the peak at the top of the "house", and the smaller addition on

the
> > left wing.
> >
> > - Jon
> > -------
> > Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
> > Tutorials and Custom Solutions
> > Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
> > _______
> >
> >
> > "Andy Pope" > wrote in message
> > ...
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>It may be possible to draw the gridlines and markers using additional
> >>series plotted as xy scatter chart.
> >>If you need more help can you post a link to an example of one of these
> >>chart styles?
> >>
> >>Cheers
> >>Andy
> >>
> >>--
> >>
> >>Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> >>http://www.andypope.info
> >>"clemsongirl" > wrote in message
> ...
> >>
> >>>I'm trying to create an affordance structure matrix (if anyone actually
> >>>knows
> >>>what that is!). It has a regular grid and then a grid above it, rotated
> >>>45
> >>>degrees. I know how to rotate the text, but that only gives me the grid
> >>>lines
> >>>for half of the grid. When I change the grid lines to diagonal, I can't
> >>>put
> >>>marks in all of the squares. Can you do what I want in Excel or do I

have
> >>>to
> >>>use a drawing program?
> >>

> >
> >

>
> --
>
> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
> http://www.andypope.info



  #6  
Old July 9th 08, 03:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,582
Default Getting text and grid at a 45 degree angle

Keep in mind the OP is probably using "chart" to refer to a tabular data
range. This kind of display is more suited to a worksheet solution, with
some embedded graphics.

(Yes, I've tried to create this kind of display in Excel, and no, I don't
have anything to share.)

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
_______


"Peter T" <peter_t@discussions> wrote in message
...
> Maybe draw diagonal lines over cells if(?) the idea is something along the
> lines of putting some symbols in the grid. Then use the Camara method
> (copy
> range, Shift-Edit, Paste picture link), to place the diamond cell grid
> over
> the chart or some other range, positioned as needs.
>
> A little macro to draw the lines -
> In a new sheet, for testing, experiment with rTopLeft, 'wide', row/column
> heights, and some appropriate Font
>
> Sub DiamondRoof()
> Dim i As Long, j As Long, cnt As Long
> Dim wide As Long
> Dim L2 As Double, T2 As Double
> Dim rTopLeft As Range, c1 As Range, c2 As Range
> Dim shps As Shapes, shLine As Shape
>
> 'uncomment for testing
> ' ActiveSheet.Lines.Delete
> ' ActiveSheet.GroupObjects.Delete
>
> Set rTopLeft = Range("B2") '<< CHange, where to put it
> wide = 9 '<< Change, how big
>
> Set shps = ActiveSheet.Shapes
>
> With rTopLeft
>
> With .Resize(wide + 1, wide * 2 + 1)
> .Borders.LineStyle = xlNone
> .Interior.ColorIndex = xlAutomatic ' remove gridlines
> .HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter
> .VerticalAlignment = xlCenter
> .ColumnWidth = 2.38 ' << adjust
> .RowHeight = 17.25 ' << adjust
> End With
>
> For i = 1 To wide + 1
>
> ' up to right line
> Set c1 = .Cells(wide + 2, i * 2 - 1)
> Set c2 = .Cells(i, wide + i)
> With c2
> L2 = .Left + .Width / 2
> T2 = .Top + .Height / 2
> End With
> With c1
> Set shLine = shps.AddLine(.Left, .Top, L2, T2)
> End With
>
> ' down to right line
> Set c1 = .Cells(wide + 2, i * 2)
> Set c2 = .Cells(wide + 2 - i, i)
> With c2
> L2 = .Left + .Width / 2
> T2 = .Top + .Height / 2
> End With
> With c1
> Set shLine = shps.AddLine(.Left, .Top, L2, T2)
> End With
> Next
>
> Set c1 = .Cells(wide + 2, 1)
> Set c2 = .Cells(wide + 2, wide * 2 + 2)
>
> With c2
> L2 = .Left
> T2 = .Top
> End With
>
> ' bottom line
> With c1
> Set shLine = shps.AddLine(.Left, .Top, L2, T2)
> End With
>
> End With
>
>
> ReDim arr(1 To wide * 2 + 3)
> cnt = shps.Count
> j = 0
> For i = cnt - (wide * 2 + 3) + 1 To cnt
> j = j + 1
> arr(j) = i
> Next
>
> With shps.Range(arr)
> .Line.ForeColor.SchemeColor = 7 + 16
> ' any other formats
> .Group
> End With
>
> End Sub
>
> Regards,
> Peter T
>
>
>
> "Andy Pope" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Thanks for that link Jon.
>>
>> So it should be possible, but not easy, to create those lines and
>> markers using a fistful of additional xy series.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>>
>> Jon Peltier wrote:
>> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:A...of_Quality.png
>> >
>> > Check the peak at the top of the "house", and the smaller addition on

> the
>> > left wing.
>> >
>> > - Jon
>> > -------
>> > Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
>> > Tutorials and Custom Solutions
>> > Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com
>> > _______
>> >
>> >
>> > "Andy Pope" > wrote in message
>> > ...
>> >
>> >>Hi,
>> >>
>> >>It may be possible to draw the gridlines and markers using additional
>> >>series plotted as xy scatter chart.
>> >>If you need more help can you post a link to an example of one of these
>> >>chart styles?
>> >>
>> >>Cheers
>> >>Andy
>> >>
>> >>--
>> >>
>> >>Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> >>http://www.andypope.info
>> >>"clemsongirl" > wrote in message
>> ...
>> >>
>> >>>I'm trying to create an affordance structure matrix (if anyone
>> >>>actually
>> >>>knows
>> >>>what that is!). It has a regular grid and then a grid above it,
>> >>>rotated
>> >>>45
>> >>>degrees. I know how to rotate the text, but that only gives me the
>> >>>grid
>> >>>lines
>> >>>for half of the grid. When I change the grid lines to diagonal, I
>> >>>can't
>> >>>put
>> >>>marks in all of the squares. Can you do what I want in Excel or do I

> have
>> >>>to
>> >>>use a drawing program?
>> >>
>> >
>> >

>>
>> --
>>
>> Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
>> http://www.andypope.info

>
>



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I turn cells to a 45-degree angle? WJason Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 6 May 15th 07 12:03 AM
degree or angle ekkeindoha Excel Worksheet Functions 3 January 29th 07 02:54 PM
Imputting an angle degree. Degree, minute, second Graham Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 6 October 19th 06 03:07 PM
Imputting an angle degree. Degree, minute, second Graham Excel Worksheet Functions 1 October 13th 06 07:58 PM
Convert decimal degree (lattitude/longitude) into Degree, Tim Ashcom Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 August 17th 05 04:53 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.