Take first word out of cell and put it in a new cell

Old July 3rd 08, 08:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
LM

Default Take first word out of cell and put it in a new cell

I have a list of data and I want to remove the first word of each cell in one
column and put it in a separate column. Is there a formula for this?

Old July 3rd 08, 08:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips[_3_]

=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

Old July 3rd 08, 09:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
LM

Thanks Bob, but that only copies the word. I want to cut it out of the cell
rather than copy it. Any other suggestions?

Lyn.

Old July 3rd 08, 10:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips[_3_]

You can't do that with a formula, you would need VBA, macro code.

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

Old July 3rd 08, 12:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Can you use two formula cells?

Use Bob's formula to get the first word.

Then use this formula to get the rest of the words.
=MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,LEN(A1))

If you wanted, you could convert both these columns of formulas to values
(edit|copy, edit|Paste special|values) and delete the original data.

Old July 3rd 08, 02:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
LM

Just brilliant. That worked a treat. You have just saved me days of work -
I thought I would have to do it manually. Thank you so much to both of you.