Conditional Formatting (Icon sets - 3 Arrows)

Old June 16th 08, 11:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jackie

Default Conditional Formatting (Icon sets - 3 Arrows)

I have the following data:

A1 = 5
A2 = 10
A3 = 4
A4 = 4

I would like to use the icon sets (3 arrows) conditional formatting to show
the changes of the value from previous cell.

For example. if A2 > A1, A2 will have a up arrow.
If A3 < A2; A3 will have a down arrow.
If A4 = A3; A4 will have a level arrow.
And these go on down in the column.

I set up the condition in the conditional formatting windows. BUT, is there
a faster way to do the conditional for all the rows in the column?

I tried to copy and paste the format down the rows, however it always use
the same A1 value for comparison. I don't want to do that since I want to
compare the previous row value, not the initial value.

Thanks for your help.!!
Old June 16th 08, 11:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

Edit your conditional formatting for the first cell, and ensure that
you do not have any absolute cell references ($ symbols) in there.
Then you should be able to apply the CF to the other rows by means of
the Format Painter.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Old June 17th 08, 04:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jackie

Thanks for your advice, but I can't seem to make it works.

Whenever I try to set the value in the "edit formatting rule" window.
It will automatically add $ sign to the value... like this. "=$A$1"
if I don't use $ sign, there will be no arrows icon show up in the excel
sheet.

For the type. I choose "Number". It this correct??