change regular 24 hour format to military time in excel

Old June 11th 08, 12:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
kidsmeasy

Default change regular 24 hour format to military time in excel

I am trying to create a format for military time in excel
Old June 11th 08, 12:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Meebers

I thought they were the same. Give example of what you expect to see for 6
pm. (18:00)

Old June 11th 08, 01:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
kidsmeasy

for 6pm(1800) would be correct and that is the way i would like for it to
show in the cell.

Old June 11th 08, 01:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_653_]

If you mean leading zeroes and without the colon, then Custom Format the
cell with hhmm.

Rick

Old June 11th 08, 02:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
kidsmeasy

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Old June 11th 08, 02:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
kidsmeasy

I tried the format but when I input the time and then tab to the next cell
the numbers turn to all zeros.

Old June 11th 08, 03:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_654_]

To get all zeroes means you are entering the numbers for you time without
the colon. Your subject line said you wanted to "change regular 24 hour
format to military time"... I assumed you meant that your entries would be
"real time values", that is, with colons in them (and that the Custom Format
would change them to look like you wanted). If you want, or are doing,
something different than that, you need to tell us what it is.

Rick

Old June 12th 08, 12:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
kidsmeasy

I am trying to input the time without the colons.

Old June 12th 08, 06:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Spiky

What are you planning on doing with these entries? If it is just for
display, you could just format it to forced 4-digit numbers, "0000".
Don't worry about date/time format.

If you are planning on adding or subtracting as time and date values,
that will be harder. Excel needs it to be entered as a time, with the
colon. Otherwise it can't tell the difference since, for example,
today at 1800 is actually the number 39611.75 to Excel. You could
enter "1800" in one cell and have other cells reformat it to time for
any operation you need to calculate.
Old June 13th 08, 01:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
kidsmeasy

I appreciate all the help but I guess I'm just not getting it. I trying to
create a time sheet and I want to use military time to represent the start
time and end time.