formula cant be entered

Old June 3rd 08, 03:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
matt2123

Default formula cant be entered

I am tying to enter in some "IF" formulas and it is not allowing me to enter
in more then 44. I checked the specifications and limits and I dont believe
I am over the limit. When I try to enter the 45th one I get this message,
"The specified formula cannot be entered because it contains more values,
references, and/or names than are allowed in the current file format." Cant
anyone give me some info on this, or is there a way to change the "current
file format?"
Old June 3rd 08, 04:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Thomlinson

Are you attempting to have one formula with more than 44 if statements in
it??? Also what version of XL?
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

Old June 3rd 08, 04:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
matt2123

=IF(CAB1!$E$2,CAB1!$A$2,CAB1!F:F)&IF(CAB1!$E$3,CAB 1!$A$3,CAB1!F:F) ---- That
is basically what I am foing 44 times. It is 2007

Old June 3rd 08, 04:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ShaneDevenshire

Hi Matt,

What do you mean by more than 44? 44 what's? In one cell? Why don't you
show us a little of your formula.

In 2003 and earlier, you are limited to 1,024 characters in a cell formula.
And you are limited to 7 levels deep of nesting. You are also limited to a
maximum of 30 arguments, for example if your formula looked like this
=SUM(IF(...),IF(...)....)

In 2007 these limits are 16,384 bits for formulas, 64 levels of nesting and
255 arguments.

In most cases long IF formulas could be done with other more efficient
techniques.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

Old June 3rd 08, 05:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
matt2123

Shane,

=IF(CAB1!$E$2>0,CAB1!$A$2,CAB1!F:F)&IF(CAB1!$E$3>0 ,CAB1!$A$3,CAB1!F:F)&IF(CAB1!$E$4>0,CAB1!$A$4,CAB1 !F:F).....

I am trying to pull the description of an item from another tab, if column E
has an amount greater then 0. It stops at the 44th entry, but I didnt think I
was over the limits.

Thanks Shane