Cannot insert a row in Excel spreadsheet

Old March 22nd 05, 02:41 AM
fredhep

Default Cannot insert a row in Excel spreadsheet

If this is a duplicate message, I apologize. I don't think that my first try
succeeded.

When using my Microsoft Excel spreadsheet in Widows XP (that I imported from
Microsoft Works in Windows 98SE) I can't insert a new row (I can insert a new
column). When I select the row and click on "Insert," then "Row," I get the
message: "To prevent possible loss of data Microsoft Excel cannot shift
nonblank cells off the worksheet. Try to locate the last nonblank cell by
pressing CNTRL+END and delete or clear all in cells between the last cell and
the end of your data. Then select cell A1 and save your workbook to reset the
last cell used. Or you can move the data to a new location and try again."

To me this message is meaningless. Any suggestions?

Old March 22nd 05, 02:56 AM
Gary Brown

Excel seems to think that you have information all the way down in row
65,536. Figure out what your REAL last row of data is. Highlight the next
row down from that REAL last row all the way down to row 65,536. Delete
those rows and save your workbook.
Now you should be able to insert.
HTH,
Gary Brown

Old March 22nd 05, 07:43 AM
fredhep

Thanks for the help. It seems so obvious what the message means once you
know the answer.

Old August 16th 05, 02:10 AM
les nienhuis