How can I remove a constant from a cell?

Old April 29th 08, 03:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ac

Default How can I remove a constant from a cell?

I have a spreadsheet that has been updated and now sent to me for formatting
and formula auditing but along the way someone entered in a constant variable
that is not needed but is preventing my actual calculations from showing.

Can anyone offer any insight on how I can remove these non needed constants?
Old April 29th 08, 03:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ryguy7272

What is a 'constant variable'?

I think you need to divulge more information or give more details about the
issue.

Just a random thought here, but you may try something like this:
=SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","")

That would get rid or all '-' characters in a cell.

If, for instance, you wanted to find everything to the left of a certain
character (maybe a constant variable), such as the letter 'a', you could try
a function like this:

=LEFT(A1,FIND("a",A1)-1)

Hope that helps you a bit.

Regards,
Ryan--

--
RyGuy

Old April 29th 08, 07:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ac

Ryan,

Thanks! When I hit formula auditing that is what showed up: constant
variable.
It is kind of "hiding" the 1 for now and letting me input different numbers.

Thanks again!