Increment cell reference

Old April 8th 08, 01:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Larry Kahm

Default Increment cell reference

=INDEX(INDIRECT("'"&$A3&"'!$G5"),COLUMNS($A:$A))

How can I get the variable, "G5" to increment when copied across a row or
down a column (i.e., $G5, $G6, $G7, etc)

I've tried copy and then paste special, formula, but it doesn't increment.
What should I be doing?

Thanks

Larry

Old April 8th 08, 01:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK

You have to move the 5 outside the quotes for it to increment, eg:

=INDEX(INDIRECT("'"&$A3&"'!$G"&ROW(A5)),COLUMNS($A :$A))

as this is copied down then the ROW(A5) (returning 5) will become
ROW(A6), ROW(A7), ROW(A8) etc, returning 6, 7, 8 etc

Hope this helps.

Pete