Show quarters and years on x axis of a chart

Old March 18th 05, 01:49 PM
Kacee

Default Show quarters and years on x axis of a chart

Hi,

I have a chart that I want to show both the quarters and years so that I
have 1234123412341234 with the corresponding year below each group.

At the moment it is just showing 123456789101112. Any ideas of how this
could be done
Old March 18th 05, 07:23 PM
John Mansfield

Kacee,

If you are using Excel 2000 or higher, as an example try setting you data up
like this (this example assumes "2000" is in cell A2 and the title "Data" is
in cell C1):

Data
2000 1 5
2 4
3 5
4 6
2001 1 7
2 6
3 5
4 4

Make sure that the years in column A and the quarters in column B are
formatted as text.

A further explanation can be found he

http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/exce...ory_groupings/

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

Old March 18th 05, 08:29 PM
Kacee

Thanks for the reply,

Will this work on a scatter graph, as again I still get the 123456......

Old March 19th 05, 03:42 AM
Jon Peltier

This will not work on a scatter chart, but make a line chart, then format the series
to have markers but not lines. Looks the same, eh?

To make sure Excel does the category axis the way you want, make sure you have a
label where John has "Data", and the two cells left of that label must be blank.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services