Plotting Y vs. X data in Excel

Old March 5th 08, 03:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Dale

Default Plotting Y vs. X data in Excel

Hi:
I am having trouble setiing up a chart/graph plotting one paramater against
another. I am using Excel 2003 (Office).
Assume that I have 3 columns of data: C1, C2, and C3. (C2 dat is notr used.)
Say that I want to plot a graph of C3 data vs. C1 data...i.e.,
data from C3 plotted along the vertical axis, and data from C1
plotted along the horizontal axis. How do I go about doing this?
I keep getting two lines plotted againts a common x-axis with
values {1,2,3...n} that have no meaning to me, other than they
represent the data point numbers, not their values.

Thank you...
DaleB
Old March 5th 08, 04:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

Worked for me when I selected cells in column C1 press the CTRL key and also
select the cells in C3.
Insert chart, xy-scatter. C1 plotted along the x-axis and C3 along the
y-axis.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Old March 5th 08, 05:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Dale

Hi:
Scatter worked for me too.
I think the problem may have been that initially, I had a "line chart"
selected.

DaleB

Old March 6th 08, 03:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

You can make a line chart work the same way if you place a text label above
the Y value column and leave a blank cell above the column of X values.
Select these header cells as part of the source data, then create the chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions