CELL EQUALS LAST NONBLANK CELL IN A COLUMN

Old February 28th 08, 10:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
vicky

Default CELL EQUALS LAST NONBLANK CELL IN A COLUMN

Can someone give me a function to use so that the cell at the bottom of a
column equals the last nonblank cell above in that column?
Old February 28th 08, 10:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko

The best solution to this depends on many conditions. Among those a

What type of data is in the range, is it text or numeric, or can it be both?
Are there any empty/blanks cells *within* the range?
Are there any formulas in the range that might return formula blanks?

As a starting point you can try something like this. Assumes no empty/blank
cells within the range:

=IF(COUNTA(A1:A10),INDEX(A1:A10,COUNTA(A1:A10)),"" )

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Old February 28th 08, 10:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
vicky

There are formulas in the cells above. The formulas results in a number
based upon the "If" condition in the formulas, else it returns a blank value
in the cell. Here is a sample of one of the formulas in a cell in the column
above...

=IF(AND(W16<>"",(COUNTA($W$3:W15)>0)-(COUNTBLANK($W$3:W15)),(COUNTA($W17:W$22)=0)-COUNTBLANK($W17:W$22)),$F16,"")

Old February 28th 08, 10:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko

This will return the *last numeric value* in the range:

=IF(COUNT(A1:A10),LOOKUP(1E100,A1:A10),"")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Old February 29th 08, 04:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
vicky

Thank you so much! This worked. I have yet to understand how LOOKUP works.
Maybe in time I will. :-)

Old February 29th 08, 06:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko

How LOOKUP works:

The way that LOOKUP works is if the lookup_value is greater than all the
values in the lookup_vector it will match the *last* value in the
lookup_vector that is less than the lookup_value.

To ensure that the lookup_value is greater than all the values in the
lookup_vector we use an arbitrary number that is guaranteed to meet this
condition. In this case the lookup_value is 1E100, 1 followed by 100 zeros.
There's a pretty good chance that no number in your range will be greater
than that so the formula returns the *last numeric* value in the range.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP