Strange line I can't delete

Old January 25th 08, 09:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JICDB

Default Strange line I can't delete

I am fluent in Excel and have a strange line that I can't get rid of. I have
created a dashboard type report and in the middle there is a line that runs
between two rows. I want to delete it. I tried to format the cells with no
line (there isn't one showing), I tried to grab an object line that may have
been added - there is none. I tried to delete the two rows surrounding it
and the line remains. It's not a page break - I checked, I even turned off
the gridline and to no avail. I wouldn't care so much if it just didn't
print, but it does.

Any ideas how to get rid of it or even what it is?
Old January 25th 08, 09:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PCLIVE

Could there be some type of conditional formatting in that area? Just a
thought.

Old January 25th 08, 10:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Could it be an object (squished when you deleted a row???) -- like a button???

Try showing the control toolbox toolbar
click on the design mode icon
then try selecting (and deleting) it.

Old January 25th 08, 11:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Greg Wilson

It sounds like a chart or shape object that got shrunk to zero height when
the rows containing it were deleted. A chart at least, when shrunk to zero
height, won't let you grab it according to my tests. There are probably some
controls that do likewise.

To test my theory and fix the problem, put the Select Multiple Objects
button on your toolbar and check to see what objects are listed (sheet must
not be protected or you won't see them). This calls a dialog that lets you
select the objects. I suspect you'll find a chart, control or drawing object
you weren't aware of.

To access the Select Multiple Objects button:
Right click any toolbar > Customize > Commands tab > Select Drawing from the
categories list. Then drag the Select Multiple Objects button to the toolbar.
I have it as 3rd from the top in the Commands list.

Greg

Old January 29th 08, 05:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JICDB

OK - I started from the PCLIVE's response and worked my way down through
Dave's and then Gregs. No conditional formatiing (but great idea). I had
been trying to grab it and delete it but to no avail. I couldn't get the
design mode button to really be effective. Greg's idea, similar to Dave's
worked great. I used the Multiple objects tool bar to eliminate the hundreds
of charts, text boxes, pictures, and auto shapes to find the 10 objects that
got squished in the middle somehow.

Thanks for the collabrative effort. I thought I was going crazy.

Old January 29th 08, 08:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Guillett

Happens when you delete rows/columns where they were

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel