Can I link/lock rows so they move together in a sort?

Old January 21st 08, 02:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
dla80

Default Can I link/lock rows so they move together in a sort?

I have a workbook that is made up of three sheets. Sheet one is the main
sheet to input data of clients. It contains client names, ID Numbers, then
many columns of dates that projects were completed. Sheet 2 consists of IF
statements to indicate if projects were completed or not based off of data in
sheet 1. I would like sheet three to serve as a quick reference of contact
info for clients. This sheet consists of name, ID number, address, phone,
and alternate contact info. The problem is that the name and ID number are
pasted links from sheet 1 (so we won't forget anyone and data won't have to
be input multiple times). However, if I sort sheet one it subsequently
changes the order of the clients on sheet three. Is is possible to link each
row so when a sort is performed on sheet one ,the data will be locked with
the linked name on sheet three? I know there has to be a way...maybe I'm
using the wrong formulas to get the names on sheet three?
Thanks for any advice you can give!
Old January 21st 08, 03:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jock

I think one possible way around your issue would be to copy and paste (rather
than link) the cust name from sheet 1 to sheet 3.
In sheet 3 you could then use the VLOOKUP formula in other columns to get
the rest of the info for each customer (including customer number) from sheet
1.
This means that you caould have sheet 3 in alpha order regardless of which
order sheet 1 is in.
--
Traa Dy Liooar

Jock