"Relative" Absolute Cell References in Excel 2007

Old December 28th 07, 05:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default "Relative" Absolute Cell References in Excel 2007

I have a worksheet that has a formula which uses absolute cell
references ($D$2:$F$2). If I insert a new column to the left of
Column D the "absolute" references change to ($E$2:$G$2).

What I want is to add data to the new column and have the formula
calculate on the original ($D$2:$F$2) range. Rather than changing the
formula every time I do this (and copying it down several hundred
rows) is there a way to get around this 'feature' and have the
absolute reference stay absolute?

Thanks for any insight,

Theoden
Old December 28th 07, 05:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

Hi Theoden,

In some cell (let's say A1), put this text: D2:F2
Now use this formula (example is SUM):

=SUM(INDIRECT(A1))

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

Old December 28th 07, 06:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RagDyeR

Try:

=SUM(INDIRECT("D2:F2"))
--

HTH,

RD

Old December 28th 07, 06:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

> =SUM(INDIRECT("D2:F2"))

Thank you for the help. Amazing how easy it is when you know how!
Old December 29th 07, 05:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RagDyeR

Thanks for the feed-back.

RD