How do I border a bottom half of a cell in excel

Old December 24th 07, 11:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Matsnake

Default How do I border a bottom half of a cell in excel

I would like to know if there is a way to broder a partial edge of a cell. or
if I can add another column with out all of the cells in that Column. For
example. Can I add another columbn fomr C32 to C34?
Old December 25th 07, 12:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham

I'm afraid that Santa only has coal for your stocking this year. If you're
using any version of Excel before 2007, the answer to both questions is no.

Even with 2007, splitting cells in a column (to get that different column at
C32 to C34 without new cells above/below that range) is not possible. You
could achieve the appearance of such by merging cell-pairs in columns C
from C11 to C3131 and below C3434, but merging cells is not something I
recommend you use without thinking about it befo merging cells creates
associated problems at times.

I don't have 2007 on this machine (and I'm away from home, so no 2007 system
available right now) so I'm not sure what you could do in it, if anything, to
achieve a partially bordered appearance in cells. Remember that you can just
border a single edge of a cell, such as the bottom of it/them only in any
version of Excel.

Old December 26th 07, 02:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Benson

Have you considered putting a graphics line or box in the cell? Unless I'm
misunderstanding the question, it seems you could put a box with a
transparent fill in the cell and expand it or shrink it to fit.
--
Dave Benson

Old December 27th 07, 02:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham

I thought about something like that also - a box with 'faded' shading so that
just the lower half appears shaded. Problem with graphics is positioning if
cells (rows / columns) are resized and also if they overlay a cell that needs
to be chosen, it makes it very difficult to get to the cell(s). Whether or
not that would play into this, I don't know - only the OP could determine if
such a solution would work for him/her.