Title Text function =PROPER(A3) not working?

Old December 9th 07, 02:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LarryW

Default Title Text function =PROPER(A3) not working?

I dont understand why I cannot clen up a worksheet with various upper and
lower case structure to the correct "Title Case"? I have a column (A) of
mixed upper and lower case words and next to that column I create a new
column (B). In that new column (B) I enter my =PROPER(A3) in the cell next
to the one to be corrected and nothing? What am I doing wrong or am I
missing something?
--
LarryW
Old December 9th 07, 02:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten

Hi Larry,

That should work. What do you have in A3 and what appears in B3?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

Old December 10th 07, 02:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LarryW

Hi Niek

What I have in Column A is all the names that are in mixed case starting
with A3. I instered a new Column to the right and that is now Column B. I
moved to Column B in cell 3 "B3". I went and entered the formula in the top
formula bar as =PROPER(A3) The same appeared in (B3) and I tapped enter.
After doing so, the name did not appear in "B3" as corrected? all the was in
B3 was: =PROPER(A3) and nothing more? Am I doing something wrong? I am
using WindowsXP, Excel 2003.
--
LarryW

Old December 10th 07, 02:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're seeing the formula itself, then it could be a couple of things.

#1. You could be looking at formulas.
Tools|Options|View tab|Uncheck Formulas
(in xl2003)
(or hit ctrl-` (control-backquote to the left of the 1/! key on my USA keyboard)

#2. The cell could be formatted as text.
Select the cell
Format|Cells|Number Tab|Choose General (or anything but Text)
Then hit F2, then Enter to tell excel to reevaluate your entry (the formula)

Old December 10th 07, 03:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LarryW

Thank you Dave ) The first one was the fix! U Da Man!
--
LarryW

Old May 13th 08, 04:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Olayah

Old May 13th 08, 04:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Biddulph[_2_]

What do you mean "... and nothing" ?

If the cell is displaying the formula, rather than the result, you've
probably preformatted the cell as Text. Format it as General, then re-enter
the formula.

If you are not seeing the formula, but you are not seeing the appropriate
result, check that you haven't got the calculation mode set to Manual.
Tools/ Options/ Calculation, and make sure it's set to Automatic.
--
David Biddulph

Old August 29th 08, 03:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
supoch14

Old August 29th 08, 03:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
supoch14