Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Trendline with standard deviation

I have a historical stock price chart into which I've inserted a
trendline; I'd like to now show a line graph with one standard
deviation above the trendline and one below; ideas please?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Trendline with standard deviation

Here's how you can add a standard deviation to your trendline in Excel:
  1. Select your chart by clicking on it.
  2. Click on the "Chart Elements" button (the plus sign icon) that appears next to your chart.
  3. From the drop-down menu, select "Trendline" and then "More Options."
  4. In the "Format Trendline" pane that appears on the right-hand side of your screen, select the "Options" tab.
  5. Under "Forecast," you'll see an option for "Confidence Interval." Select the drop-down menu next to it and choose "1 Standard Deviation."
  6. You should now see two additional lines on your chart, one above and one below your trendline, representing one standard deviation from the trendline.

If you want to customize the appearance of these lines, you can do so by selecting them and using the formatting options in the "Format Data Series" pane that appears on the right-hand side of your screen.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Rf,

Say your x data is in A1:A10 and your y data in B1:B10

Put this in C1
=TREND(B1:B10,A1:A10,A1)+STDEV(B1:B10)
(note the A1 is for the *first* point in your series)

and this in C2
=TREND(B1:B10,A1:A10,A10)+STDEV(B1:B10)
(note the A10 is for the *last* point in your series)

Now go to source data and add a series with
X-Values =(Sheet1!$A$1,Sheet1!$A$10)
Y-Values =Sheet1!$C$1:$C$2

You can then set the series to show a line but no marker
or add a trendline if you wish.

HTH
Martin

wrote in message
I have a historical stock price chart into which I've inserted a
trendline; I'd like to now show a line graph with one standard
deviation above the trendline and one below; ideas please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

And, if you would prefer to use the "standard error of estimate,"
approximately equal to the standard deviation of the residuals, use the
STEYX worksheet function instead of STDEV.

- Mike Middleton
http://www.DecisionToolworks.com
Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel

wrote in message
I have a historical stock price chart into which I've inserted a
trendline; I'd like to now show a line graph with one standard
deviation above the trendline and one below; ideas please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote in message

I have a historical stock price chart into which I've inserted a
trendline; I'd like to now show a line graph with one standard
deviation above thetrendlineand one below; ideas please?- Hide quoted text -

Cool!!!!!