Green Triangle in Upper Left Corner of Cell

Old November 27th 07, 03:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Clueless in Seattle

Default Green Triangle in Upper Left Corner of Cell

I'm keeping track of my eBay purchases with an Excel 2003 work sheet.

I have one column for item numbers (each item auctioned on eBay is
assigned a unique number). It seemed logical to format the cells in
this column as text, since I cannot imagine any reason why I would
ever want to perform mathematical operations with these numbers.

I did experiment with formatting the cells in the column as numbers,
but then the numbers appeared in a strange way. For example, the
number which appears in text as 300153751051, appears in number format
as 3.00154E+11. So, even if I wanted to format the cells as numbers,
I wouldn't know how to read the numbers.

But, with the cells formatted as text, when I enter item numbers into
these cells, little green triangles appears in the upper left corners
of the cells.

These little triangles are annoying little eyesores, sort of like
getting a speck of grit in your eye. Is there a way I can format the
column so that these triangles will disappear. And if so, is there
any reason why I shouldn't get rid of them?

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
Old November 27th 07, 04:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben

Tools>Options>Error Checking.

Disable error-checking or parts you don't want.

I have it disabled totally.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 19:39:55 -0800 (PST), Clueless in Seattle

Old November 27th 07, 04:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Clueless in Seattle

On Nov 26, 8:10 pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
> Tools>Options>Error Checking.
>
> Disable error-checking or parts you don't want.
>
> I have it disabled totally.
>
> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

That was easy!

Thanks!