A Microsoft Excel forum. ExcelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ExcelBanter forum » Excel Newsgroups » Excel Discussion (Misc queries)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Macros for Daily, Weekly and Monthly Reports.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 27th 07, 12:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dragon
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Macros for Daily, Weekly and Monthly Reports.

In out excel file we have 11 workbooks with running totals that update daily,
weekly and monthly reports in 3 other workbooks. We would like to make up
Macros so that the reports will update automatically when run. To do this we
need the daily cell reference to move one down during the week, 4 down at
week end, and 2 at month end. I think it will take 3 Macros to do this but I
have tried to make the reference move down one but it doesn't seem to work.
How can I set up Macros to do what I need?
Ads
  #2  
Old November 27th 07, 01:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
OssieMac
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,510
Default Macros for Daily, Weekly and Monthly Reports.

Hi,

Perhaps you can you post samples of the data to go with the explanation. I
really don't understand what you are trying to achieve. However, naming
cells/ranges is a good start in retrieving the last data copied and then
using offset to move down and re-naming to the same name ready for the next
time.

You can record macros when naming cells/ranges to get the syntax. To name
cells/ranges:

Versions before xl2007: Menu item Insert -> Name -> Define

xl2007 version: Formulas tab on the ribbon - > Define Name

--
Regards,

OssieMac


"Dragon" wrote:

> In out excel file we have 11 workbooks with running totals that update daily,
> weekly and monthly reports in 3 other workbooks. We would like to make up
> Macros so that the reports will update automatically when run. To do this we
> need the daily cell reference to move one down during the week, 4 down at
> week end, and 2 at month end. I think it will take 3 Macros to do this but I
> have tried to make the reference move down one but it doesn't seem to work.
> How can I set up Macros to do what I need?

  #3  
Old November 29th 07, 06:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dragon
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Macros for Daily, Weekly and Monthly Reports.

I did up the following sample. Does this help?

Sheet1:
Date: lbs cases trl: YTD lbs YTD cases YTD trl:
11/26/2007 89450 5640 5 89450 5640 5
11/27/2007 101467 7080 6 190917 12720 11
11/28/2007 45950 1245 2 236867 13965 13
11/29/2007 192658 8023 7 429525 21988 20
11/30/2007 78500 4167 4 508025 26155 24
MONTHLY 508025 26155 24
12/1/2007 102519 7591 6 610544 33746 30
12/2/2007 187662 6482 4 798206 40228 34
Weekly 798206 40228 34

Sheet2:
Date: lbs cases trl: cans: rail: YTD lbs YTD cases YTD trl: YTD cans: YTD
rail:
11/26/2007 89450 5640 5 0 2 89450 5640 5 0 2
11/27/2007 101467 7080 6 0 2 190917 12720 11 0 4
11/28/2007 45950 1245 2 1 3 236867 13965 13 1 7
11/29/2007 192658 8023 7 1 2 429525 21988 20 2 9
11/30/2007 78500 4167 4 0 3 508025 26155 24 2 12
MONTHLY 508025 26155 24 2 12
12/1/2007 102519 7591 6 2 1 610544 33746 30 4 13
12/2/2007 187662 6482 4 0 2 798206 40228 34 4 15
Weekly 798206 40228 34 4 15

Sheet3:
LBS. CS. # TRL LBS. CS. # TRL
11/26/07 518,127 22,479 12 518,127 22,479 12
11/27/07 545,942 26,530 11 1,064,069 49,009 23
11/28/07 302,321 13,633 7 1,366,390 62,642 30
11/29/07 484,423 21,767 13 1,850,813 84,409 43
11/30/07 571,149 24,720 13 2,421,962 109,129 56
MONTHLY 2,421,962 109,129 56
12/01/07 240,656 9,679 8 2,662,618 118,808 64
12/02/07 470,440 20,735 10 3,133,058 139,543 74
WEEKLY 3,133,058 139,543 74

Daily:
DAILY REPORT Date: December 2, 2007
LBS. CASES Y.T.D. LBS. Y.T.D. CASES
Sheet 1 Sheet1!B9 Sheet1!C9 Sheet1!F9 Sheet1!G9
Sheet 2 Sheet2!B9 Sheet2!C9 Sheet2!H9 Sheet2!I9

Sheet3 Sheet3!B9 Sheet3!C9 Sheet3!E9 Sheet3!F9

TOTAL SUM(E3:E7) SUM(F3:F7) SUM(G3:G7) SUM(H3:H7)
# OF RAIL TODAY - Sheet2!F9
# OF RAIL Y.T.D. - Sheet2!L9 DAILY Y.T.D.
# OF TRUCKS Sheet1 Sheet1!D9 Sheet1!H9
# OF TRUCKS Sheet2 Sheet2!D9 Sheet2!J9
# OF cans Sheet2 Sheet2!E9 Sheet2!K9

# OF TRUCKS Sheet3 Sheet3!D9 Sheet3!G9


Weekly:
Weekly REPORT Week ending: December 2, 2007
LBS. CASES Y.T.D. LBS. Y.T.D. CASES
Sheet 1 Sheet1!B10 Sheet1!C10 Daily!G3 Daily!H3
Sheet 2 Sheet2!B10 Sheet2!C10 Daily!G4 Daily!H4

Sheet3 Sheet3!B10 Sheet3!C10 Daily!G6 Daily!H6

TOTAL SUM(E3:E7) SUM(F3:F7) SUM(G3:G7) SUM(H3:H7)
# OF RAIL Week - Sheet2!F10
# OF RAIL Y.T.D. - Daily!F10 DAILY Y.T.D.
# OF TRUCKS Sheet1 Sheet1!D9 Daily!H11
# OF TRUCKS Sheet2 Sheet2!D9 Daily!H12
# OF cans Sheet2 Sheet2!E9 Daily!H13

# OF TRUCKS Sheet3 Sheet3!D9 Daily!H15

Monthly:
Monthly REPORT Date: November, 2007
LBS. CASES Y.T.D. LBS. Y.T.D. CASES
Sheet 1 Sheet1!B7 Sheet1!C7 Daily!G3 Daily!H3
Sheet 2 Sheet2!B7 Sheet2!C7 Daily!G4 Daily!H4

Sheet3 Sheet3!B7 Sheet3!C7 Daily!G6 Daily!H6

TOTAL SUM(E3:E7) SUM(F3:F7) SUM(G3:G7) SUM(H3:H7)
# OF RAIL Week - Sheet2!F7
# OF RAIL Y.T.D. - Daily!F10 DAILY Y.T.D.
# OF TRUCKS Sheet1 Sheet1!D7 Daily!H11
# OF TRUCKS Sheet2 Sheet2!D7 Daily!H12
# OF cans Sheet2 Sheet2!E9 Daily!H13

# OF TRUCKS Sheet3 Sheet3!D7 Daily!H15


"OssieMac" wrote:
> Perhaps you can you post samples of the data to go with the explanation. I
> really don't understand what you are trying to achieve. However, naming
> cells/ranges is a good start in retrieving the last data copied and then
> using offset to move down and re-naming to the same name ready for the next
> time.
> You can record macros when naming cells/ranges to get the syntax. To name
> cells/ranges:
> Versions before xl2007: Menu item Insert -> Name -> Define


> "Dragon" wrote:
> > In our excel file we have 11 workbooks with running totals that update daily,
> > weekly and monthly reports in 3 other workbooks. We would like to make up
> > Macros so that the reports will update automatically when run. To do this we
> > need the daily cell reference to move one down during the week, 4 down at
> > week end, and 2 at month end. I think it will take 3 Macros to do this but I
> > have tried to make the reference move down one but it doesn't seem to work.
> > How can I set up Macros to do what I need?


  #4  
Old November 30th 07, 07:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
OssieMac
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,510
Default Macros for Daily, Weekly and Monthly Reports.

Hi Dragon,

I copied your data to my worksheets and studied it. I now believe that I
understand what you are trying to achieve. However, it is a complex issue to
create code and be sure that you will always have the correct results because
there are too many variables to be controlled and even a minor error by a
user in entering data will result in the wrong cells being referenced for the
reports.

I think that you would be better to change the method of recording the data
and then use AutoFilter to produce your Daily, Weekly and Monthly reports.
The whole lot can go on one worksheet and the reports are fully dynamic and
far less prone to problems that would be created if a macro picks up data
from the wrong row.

I can give you some more guidance on setting up AutoFilter and then how to
set up the worksheet if you want to adopt this method. However, let me know
what version of XL you are using because XL2007 has more functionality than
earlier versions and I would do it a little differently. The method I would
use for earlier versions will still work in xl2007 if you upgrade later.

The AutoFilter method will give you Daily, Weekly and Monthly totals
including the YTD totals. You can have them on a separate worksheet but I
like them on the same worksheet above the actual data because I put the
column headers down about row 10 and then freeze the panes from the column
headers up and the reports are above the data. This way I do not have to
scroll up and down the screen or change worksheets to view reports after
setting the filters.

Another advantage is that all the reports are always available for any Day,
Week or Month just by re-setting the filters. They are not overwritten.

By the way your example was great. An example is like a picture. Worth a
thousand words.

--
Regards,

OssieMac


"Dragon" wrote:

> I did up the following sample. Does this help?
>
> Sheet1:
> Date: lbs cases trl: YTD lbs YTD cases YTD trl:
> 11/26/2007 89450 5640 5 89450 5640 5
> 11/27/2007 101467 7080 6 190917 12720 11
> 11/28/2007 45950 1245 2 236867 13965 13
> 11/29/2007 192658 8023 7 429525 21988 20
> 11/30/2007 78500 4167 4 508025 26155 24
> MONTHLY 508025 26155 24
> 12/1/2007 102519 7591 6 610544 33746 30
> 12/2/2007 187662 6482 4 798206 40228 34
> Weekly 798206 40228 34
>
> Sheet2:
> Date: lbs cases trl: cans: rail: YTD lbs YTD cases YTD trl: YTD cans: YTD
> rail:
> 11/26/2007 89450 5640 5 0 2 89450 5640 5 0 2
> 11/27/2007 101467 7080 6 0 2 190917 12720 11 0 4
> 11/28/2007 45950 1245 2 1 3 236867 13965 13 1 7
> 11/29/2007 192658 8023 7 1 2 429525 21988 20 2 9
> 11/30/2007 78500 4167 4 0 3 508025 26155 24 2 12
> MONTHLY 508025 26155 24 2 12
> 12/1/2007 102519 7591 6 2 1 610544 33746 30 4 13
> 12/2/2007 187662 6482 4 0 2 798206 40228 34 4 15
> Weekly 798206 40228 34 4 15
>
> Sheet3:
> LBS. CS. # TRL LBS. CS. # TRL
> 11/26/07 518,127 22,479 12 518,127 22,479 12
> 11/27/07 545,942 26,530 11 1,064,069 49,009 23
> 11/28/07 302,321 13,633 7 1,366,390 62,642 30
> 11/29/07 484,423 21,767 13 1,850,813 84,409 43
> 11/30/07 571,149 24,720 13 2,421,962 109,129 56
> MONTHLY 2,421,962 109,129 56
> 12/01/07 240,656 9,679 8 2,662,618 118,808 64
> 12/02/07 470,440 20,735 10 3,133,058 139,543 74
> WEEKLY 3,133,058 139,543 74
>
> Daily:
> DAILY REPORT Date: December 2, 2007
> LBS. CASES Y.T.D. LBS. Y.T.D. CASES
> Sheet 1 Sheet1!B9 Sheet1!C9 Sheet1!F9 Sheet1!G9
> Sheet 2 Sheet2!B9 Sheet2!C9 Sheet2!H9 Sheet2!I9
>
> Sheet3 Sheet3!B9 Sheet3!C9 Sheet3!E9 Sheet3!F9
>
> TOTAL SUM(E3:E7) SUM(F3:F7) SUM(G3:G7) SUM(H3:H7)
> # OF RAIL TODAY - Sheet2!F9
> # OF RAIL Y.T.D. - Sheet2!L9 DAILY Y.T.D.
> # OF TRUCKS Sheet1 Sheet1!D9 Sheet1!H9
> # OF TRUCKS Sheet2 Sheet2!D9 Sheet2!J9
> # OF cans Sheet2 Sheet2!E9 Sheet2!K9
>
> # OF TRUCKS Sheet3 Sheet3!D9 Sheet3!G9
>
>
> Weekly:
> Weekly REPORT Week ending: December 2, 2007
> LBS. CASES Y.T.D. LBS. Y.T.D. CASES
> Sheet 1 Sheet1!B10 Sheet1!C10 Daily!G3 Daily!H3
> Sheet 2 Sheet2!B10 Sheet2!C10 Daily!G4 Daily!H4
>
> Sheet3 Sheet3!B10 Sheet3!C10 Daily!G6 Daily!H6
>
> TOTAL SUM(E3:E7) SUM(F3:F7) SUM(G3:G7) SUM(H3:H7)
> # OF RAIL Week - Sheet2!F10
> # OF RAIL Y.T.D. - Daily!F10 DAILY Y.T.D.
> # OF TRUCKS Sheet1 Sheet1!D9 Daily!H11
> # OF TRUCKS Sheet2 Sheet2!D9 Daily!H12
> # OF cans Sheet2 Sheet2!E9 Daily!H13
>
> # OF TRUCKS Sheet3 Sheet3!D9 Daily!H15
>
> Monthly:
> Monthly REPORT Date: November, 2007
> LBS. CASES Y.T.D. LBS. Y.T.D. CASES
> Sheet 1 Sheet1!B7 Sheet1!C7 Daily!G3 Daily!H3
> Sheet 2 Sheet2!B7 Sheet2!C7 Daily!G4 Daily!H4
>
> Sheet3 Sheet3!B7 Sheet3!C7 Daily!G6 Daily!H6
>
> TOTAL SUM(E3:E7) SUM(F3:F7) SUM(G3:G7) SUM(H3:H7)
> # OF RAIL Week - Sheet2!F7
> # OF RAIL Y.T.D. - Daily!F10 DAILY Y.T.D.
> # OF TRUCKS Sheet1 Sheet1!D7 Daily!H11
> # OF TRUCKS Sheet2 Sheet2!D7 Daily!H12
> # OF cans Sheet2 Sheet2!E9 Daily!H13
>
> # OF TRUCKS Sheet3 Sheet3!D7 Daily!H15
>
>
> "OssieMac" wrote:
> > Perhaps you can you post samples of the data to go with the explanation. I
> > really don't understand what you are trying to achieve. However, naming
> > cells/ranges is a good start in retrieving the last data copied and then
> > using offset to move down and re-naming to the same name ready for the next
> > time.
> > You can record macros when naming cells/ranges to get the syntax. To name
> > cells/ranges:
> > Versions before xl2007: Menu item Insert -> Name -> Define

>
> > "Dragon" wrote:
> > > In our excel file we have 11 workbooks with running totals that update daily,
> > > weekly and monthly reports in 3 other workbooks. We would like to make up
> > > Macros so that the reports will update automatically when run. To do this we
> > > need the daily cell reference to move one down during the week, 4 down at
> > > week end, and 2 at month end. I think it will take 3 Macros to do this but I
> > > have tried to make the reference move down one but it doesn't seem to work.
> > > How can I set up Macros to do what I need?

>

  #5  
Old November 30th 07, 09:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dragon
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default Macros for Daily, Weekly and Monthly Reports.

I'm passing on your suggestion to my collegue, who is partnering me on this,
for their opinion. We are using Office 2000. I will get back to you next
week with more information.
Thanks,
Dragon

"OssieMac" wrote:

> Hi Dragon,
>
> I copied your data to my worksheets and studied it. I now believe that I
> understand what you are trying to achieve. However, it is a complex issue to
> create code and be sure that you will always have the correct results because
> there are too many variables to be controlled and even a minor error by a
> user in entering data will result in the wrong cells being referenced for the
> reports.
>
> I think that you would be better to change the method of recording the data
> and then use AutoFilter to produce your Daily, Weekly and Monthly reports.
> The whole lot can go on one worksheet and the reports are fully dynamic and
> far less prone to problems that would be created if a macro picks up data
> from the wrong row.
>
> I can give you some more guidance on setting up AutoFilter and then how to
> set up the worksheet if you want to adopt this method. However, let me know
> what version of XL you are using because XL2007 has more functionality than
> earlier versions and I would do it a little differently. The method I would
> use for earlier versions will still work in xl2007 if you upgrade later.
>
> The AutoFilter method will give you Daily, Weekly and Monthly totals
> including the YTD totals. You can have them on a separate worksheet but I
> like them on the same worksheet above the actual data because I put the
> column headers down about row 10 and then freeze the panes from the column
> headers up and the reports are above the data. This way I do not have to
> scroll up and down the screen or change worksheets to view reports after
> setting the filters.
>
> Another advantage is that all the reports are always available for any Day,
> Week or Month just by re-setting the filters. They are not overwritten.
>
> By the way your example was great. An example is like a picture. Worth a
> thousand words.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> OssieMac
> > "OssieMac" wrote:
> > > Perhaps you can you post samples of the data to go with the explanation. I
> > > really don't understand what you are trying to achieve. However, naming
> > > cells/ranges is a good start in retrieving the last data copied and then
> > > using offset to move down and re-naming to the same name ready for the next
> > > time.
> > > You can record macros when naming cells/ranges to get the syntax. To name
> > > cells/ranges:
> > > Versions before xl2007: Menu item Insert -> Name -> Define

> >
> > > "Dragon" wrote:
> > > > In our excel file we have 11 workbooks with running totals that update daily,
> > > > weekly and monthly reports in 3 other workbooks. We would like to make up
> > > > Macros so that the reports will update automatically when run. To do this we
> > > > need the daily cell reference to move one down during the week, 4 down at
> > > > week end, and 2 at month end. I think it will take 3 Macros to do this but I
> > > > have tried to make the reference move down one but it doesn't seem to work.
> > > > How can I set up Macros to do what I need?

> >

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily Reports Scott W Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 July 14th 07 08:14 PM
formatting daily,weekly and monthly schedules do u c me New Users to Excel 1 January 11th 07 02:37 AM
formatting daily,weekly and monthly schedules do u c me New Users to Excel 1 January 11th 07 02:36 AM
spreadsheet for tracking reports daily, monthly, yearly and graph Kompare Excel Worksheet Functions 2 April 6th 06 09:28 PM
Collecting weekly and monthly totals from daily data Kasper Excel Worksheet Functions 0 January 12th 06 08:02 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.