What is the purpose of a macro?

Old November 26th 07, 10:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LINDA

Default What is the purpose of a macro?

I need to know more about macros--what is their purpose? What is a situation
where I would use a macro?
Old November 26th 07, 11:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FSt1

hi
what is a macro. from the book....user defined add on programming.
It's a way to automate routine tasks that may be boring, tedious or time
consuming.
anything that you do with the mouse or keyboard can be duplicated with vb
code. in fact, anything that you do with the mouse or keyboard caused vb code
to run. a macro would reduce all the points and clicks and types to vb code
and do it a whole lot faster than you can.
each user is unique and has unique requirements so i cann't say how you
would use then. but i have use them to do a lot of things
one macro i have open 11 other files, downloaded data and update all the
files with current data, created a summary report and did it all a 5 AM while
i as still home in bed. my reports were on the printer when i got to work.
if you want to learn more about macros, see these sites....
http://www.the-excel-advisor.com/exc...-tutorial.html
http://www.exceltip.com/excel_links.html
http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/und.../odc_super.asp

the last one wrapped.
there are more.

good luck
FSt1

Old November 26th 07, 11:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

Hi Linda,
Kind of wished I'd answered first so that the answers get better
latter on, anyway here was my attempt, not a real definition.

Macros are generally code that is embedded into other code,
but with interactive usage such as in Excel this has changed a bit.

In Excel they are programming code to do some task(s) for you,
you can record a VBA macro yourself that will do the same as what
you did before (watch a video...)
http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...ordmacros.html
from http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/ExcelMain.htm
Basically if you do record a macro it will not be exactly what you
but will help you see what instructions you might need.

A macro is coding to help you do various things
1) include some functionality that Microsoft did not include in Excel
2) do the same thing as you've done before, but without having to
think about, or take a long time with tedious repeated tasks
(you might start by recording a macro)
3) use someone else code to modify or help with Excel

You can invoke a macro, or you can have an event driven macro that
starts when you do something.

--
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP -- Excel