Formula Omits Adjacent Cells

Old November 6th 07, 05:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Excel Hater

Default Formula Omits Adjacent Cells

I have filters on and I'm using the SUM to add a group of numbers. It seems
that excel automatically adds adjacent cells that I have hidden(I'm guessing
it's adding the hidden cells cause the result is way off and I get a formula
error however; the formula does not reflect these additional cells). I have
unselected the extend data range option, but this only works the first time.
After I start working on the spreadsheet and add more SUM formulas it reverts
back to adding the hidden cells.

I have thousand of numbers so it's not efficient to select each one
individually and I don't remember having to do that before. I used to be
able to use the shift key while selecting large data ranges without it
selecting hidden cells in between.

Is there a way I can permanently disable Excel from automatically including
adjacent cells when using SUM?
Old November 6th 07, 05:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Adjacent cells has nothing to do with it per se, if you sum a range hidden
cells
will be included if they are a part of that range

if you have Excel 2003 and later you can use

=SUBTOTAL(109,range)

and it will only sum visible cells, for earlier version you need VBA

Peo Sjoblom

Old November 6th 07, 06:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gary''s Student

To analyze filtered data use the SUBTOTAL function.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200753

Old November 6th 07, 06:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Excel Hater[_2_]

This worked.

Gracias.

Old November 6th 07, 08:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MartinW

Hi Peo,

Just FYI, Excel 2000 has the SUBTOTAL function
although the syntax is slightly different.

Excel 2003 =SUBTOTAL(109,range)
Excel 2000 =SUBTOTAL(9,range)

Regards
Martin

Old November 6th 07, 08:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Hi Martin,

true but it won't work for hidden rows, just filtered.
It was added in 2003 and they just added 100 to the previous numbers, you
can still use
9 in 2003 if you only want to sum filtered rows

Peo Sjoblom

Old November 6th 07, 09:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MartinW

Thanks Peo, My apologies!