if one cell greater than another cell, how to change colors?

Old November 2nd 07, 08:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
OS05

Default if one cell greater than another cell, how to change colors?

For example:

I have an amount allotted: $900,000. Amount used exceeds amount limit. How
do I set it so that when the amount used is input and exceeds the amount
allotted, it will change colors?
Old November 2nd 07, 09:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FSt1

hi
use conditional formating.
you didn't say how your data is layed out so...
if amt allotted is in column A and amt used is entered in column B then in
cell B1....
format>conditional format....
If cell value is......greater than.......=$A$1......Pick your color.
copy down column B - paste special - formats only

Regards
FSt1

Old November 2nd 07, 09:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
OS05

I have the allotted amount in one cell above the rest, then the amounts used
are broken down by days of the week below the allotted amount. I understand
that I probably have to format each cell, but would it still work in this
situation?

Old November 2nd 07, 09:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FSt1

hi again,
yes. but i would assume that you have a "total used" cell. I would put the
conditional formating in that cell and ignore the daily entries unless the
daily entries are in the habit of exceding the total allocated cell. There is
no one correct way to do this. you want to know when you are over budget and
where and want a flag to pop up when that happens. so just use the example i
gave you.....
if total used cell......is greater than..... total allocated cell....pick
your color.
Put the conditional formating in the total used cell.

Regards
FSt1