What is the difference between merge and centre and merge across

Old October 13th 07, 02:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jabu

Default What is the difference between merge and centre and merge across

There are two commands in the excel 2007 Alignment group - 'merge and centre'
and also 'merge across'. I cannot see the difference in the two commands and
the help file doesn't explain the difference. Can anyone help please?

Thanks
Ingrid
Old October 13th 07, 04:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Rech

Select a range with multiple rows and columns like A1:C3.

M&C results in one merged cell.

MA results in three.

--
Jim

Old October 13th 07, 04:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Merge and center merges the entire block of selected cells into one cell.

Select A1:F5 and merge and center and see what you get.

Merge across will merge each row of selected cells into one cell.

Select A1:F5 and merge across and see what occurs.

BUT............I would suggest you don't bother learning the difference between
the two functions.

Better to ignore any type of cell merging and never use it.

Merged cells was the dumbest feature ever come up with.

Creates no end of problems with copying, pasting, sorting, filtering,
autofitting and a host of other functions.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Old October 14th 07, 12:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jabu

Default What is the difference between merge and centre and merge acro

Thanks, Jim and Gord. Just a curiosity and a new feature I noticed.