How do I create a formula repeated on the adjacentt columns?

Old October 1st 07, 09:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Excelless

Default How do I create a formula repeated on the adjacentt columns?

I am trying to make the same operation for each column - the only difference
is in the rows, e.g.
C3=A3*B*
C4=A4*B4, etc.

I don't want to have to re-enter a similar formula for each added row.

Thanks.
Old October 1st 07, 10:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
George Gee

Select cell C3.
Move your curser to the fill handle (lower right of cell).
When the curser becomes a black cross, left-click and
drag down as far as you wish.

George Gee

Old October 1st 07, 10:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Excelless

But how do I create the formula itself? This just overwrote all the previous
data cells with the top cell's value - thx.

Old October 1st 07, 10:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
George Gee

If you want to multiply A3 by B3, then in C3 type: =A3*B3
and copy down as previously described!

If you require anything other than this, I suggest you try to
explain exactly what it is that you want, in more detail.

Also it would be prudent to use a *copy* of your workbook
to try anything new.

George Gee

Old October 2nd 07, 12:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben

Tools>Options>Calculation.

Make sure you are set for "Automatic".

Also be sure you don't have absolute references in the first cell.

C3 should have =A3*B3 which will increment to =A4*B4 as you copy down.

You may have =$A$3*$B$3 which fixes the references to just those two cells.

Remove the $ signs from C3 formula and try again with the copy down.

Don't forget the = sign

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 14:34:00 -0700, Excelless