colors and conditional format - greater than, less than

Old October 1st 07, 08:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Michele

Default colors and conditional format - greater than, less than

I have a spreadsheet showing the answers (in points) of A, B, C, D to 30
questions along with the "control" answer to each question. I'd like to
format this so that the cell of answers equal to or greater than the control
are green, the cell of answers between .01 and .25 points below the control
are yellow, and the cell more than .25 below the control are red.

The spreadsheet looks like this:

Control A B C D
Q1 3.5 3.25 3.8 3.15 3.7
Q2 2.8 2.62 3.1 2.85 2.55

I figured out how to do it line by line:
Q1
"cell value is" "greater than or equal to" "3.5" green
"cell value is" "between" "3.49" "3.25" yellow
"cell value is" "less than" "3.25" red

But I'd really like to not have to go in and change the numbers in the
conditional format for each and every line when I copy it. Is there a way to
reference the cell of the control number, less than the control numberbut
greater than .25 less than the control number, and more than .25 less than
the control number? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old October 1st 07, 09:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

I think you'll be able to modify the information on this web page to perform
the conditional formatting you require in your worksheet.

Hope you find this as useful as I have...

http://xldynamic.com/source/xld.CF.html#lights
--
Kevin Backmann

Old October 1st 07, 09:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Michele

Thank you. There's a lot of good info on that page, but, probably due to my
own ignorance, I can't seem to find what I need. Any other ideas?

Old October 1st 07, 09:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

This is another great site for multiple Excel tips.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/cformatting.htm

Scroll down to the heading that says "Using Formulas In Conditional
Formatting". From what you've provided I believe you'll be able to
accomplish the formatting using IF statements as the condition.
--
Kevin Backmann

Old October 1st 07, 10:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MrAcquire

Use conditional formatting but instead of the actual values, use cell
references in the form of $<col><row>. Then you'll be able copy the format
to the other rows.

So if your sample data is in cells a1..f3, highlight cells c2..f2 and for
condition 1, say if cell value is greater than =$B2 and format for green
background, then add condition 2 and say if cell value is between =$B2-0.25
and =$B2-0.01 and format for yellow, then add a third condition and say if
cell value is less than or equal to =B34-0.25 and format for red. Now do a
copy c2..f2 and paste format to c3..f3.

Old October 1st 07, 10:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Wondering[_2_]

I can do it easily in Excel 2007, but I don't know what version of Excel you
have.