Need formula to calculate subtotal before sales tax

Old September 14th 07, 04:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
HLR2007

Default Need formula to calculate subtotal before sales tax

I have a spreadsheet showing a year's worth of invoices that have the
final totals listed, but I need a formula to show the subtotal before
the sales tax is added.

The example I am working from has me very frustrated, to say the
least. I feel REALLY dumb right about now!

Subtotal of Order = $253
Sales Tax = 8.75%
Final Total = $275.14

So, my year summary already shows the total ($275.14) and I need to
calculate and display the subtotal ($253). I know the subtotal in
this example because I went back and looked at the original invoice,
but I don't want to do that every time.

I won't even bother including my formulas, as I already know they are
wrong!

Old September 14th 07, 05:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Hilberg

Divide Total by 1.0875.

- David

Old September 14th 07, 05:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
pdberger

HLR --

Howze about:

A B
1 $275.14 =A1/1.0875

seems to work. Answer is $253.0023

HTH

Old September 14th 07, 05:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
joeu2004

On Sep 13, 8:48 pm, HLR2007 > wrote:
> I have a spreadsheet showing a year's worth of invoices that have the
> final totals listed, but I need a formula to show the subtotal before
> the sales tax is added.
> [....]
> The example I am working from [....]
> Subtotal of Order = $253
> Sales Tax = 8.75%
> Final Total = $275.14

Ostensibly, if the final total is in B3 and the sales tax rate in B2,
then subtotal in B1 can be computed by:

=round(B3/(1+B2), 2)

But I don't know if that will always reproduce the original subtotal
exactly. You see, originally the final total (B3) was computed
effectively by:

=B1 + round(B1*B2, 2)

But it seems to work for all the (random) numbers that I have tried.

Old September 15th 07, 04:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
HLR2007

On Sep 13, 11:34 pm, pdberger >
wrote:
> A B
> 1 $275.14 =A1/1.0875
>
> seems to work. Answer is $253.0023
>
> HTH

This one works perfectly! Thanks so much.