How do I convert dates stored as dates to text?

Old September 7th 07, 04:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
diamunds

Default How do I convert dates stored as dates to text?

So basically... I have some dates stored as dates in Excel that I want to
convert to text without getting wacky numbers (i.e. I still want them to
display as the date, just categorized as text) any ideas?
Old September 7th 07, 05:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

=TEXT(A1,"mm/dd/yy")

replace the date format (US in my example) to whatever date format you are
using

Peo Sjoblom

Old September 7th 07, 05:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernard Liengme

How about some examples?
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

Old September 7th 07, 05:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

Use the following formula, changing the cell address and date format

=TEXT(A1,"dddd, mmmm d, yyyy")

A1 is the cell with the date
"dddd, mmmm d, yyyy" is the format mask that would produce Friday, September
7, 2007
--
Kevin Backmann

Old September 7th 07, 05:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RayportingMonkey

=TEXT(A1,"mm/dd/yyyy")

Assuming you have a date in A1
You can then Copy>PasteSpecial>Value if you need to remove the formula...

Old September 7th 07, 05:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Lori

(In xl2000+) try copy and pasting the date range as formatted text:

1. Press Ctrl+C twice, format number as text and click the paste icon.
2. Then undo and paste special as text [only for small ranges <2k].