merging 2 excel databases using unique identifiers

Old August 14th 07, 08:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Steven Miner

Default merging 2 excel databases using unique identifiers

I have 2 large excel databases each containing data on about 5000 subjects

Subjects are identified by the same unique identifier in each database
("patient ID"). The other datafields (collumns) are different in each
database.

Part 1:
How do I merge the databases so that for a given unique identifier ("patient
ID") the data from both datases is attached

Part 2:
Database #2 has more subjects than database #1. I only want the patients
included in database #1.

Part 3:
Some patients appear multiple times (ie multiple procedures on different
dates). How do I deal with this?

Many thanks
Steve Miner

Old August 15th 07, 12:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ed Ferrero

Hi Steven,

You can use VLOOKUP with "patient ID" as the lookup value to bring in new
column information into database #1.

See my tutorial on Excel databases at
http://www.edferrero.com/ExcelTutori...0/Default.aspx
for more info.

As for Part 3 -
If you want unique data for one patientID on one date, I suggest that you
build a unique key. Something like "PatientID + date" using a formula like
=A1 & B1. Then use this unique key as the lookup value.

Ed Ferrero
www.edferrero.com