Converting hours over 24 into decimal format

Old July 4th 07, 11:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ary

Default Converting hours over 24 into decimal format

How would I convert hours such as 128:24:12 to 128.403?

In previous discussions, I saw someone suggest formatting the cell as
[hh]:mm, but I have no idea what this means nor how to do it.
--
-Ary
Old July 4th 07, 11:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

If you want them in decimal format then multiply by 24:

=A1*24

and format the cell as number with appropriate decimal places.

If you want to see them in time format, then click Format | Cells |
Custom and enter [hh]:mm:ss in the panel then click OK.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Old July 4th 07, 11:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mike H

Multiply time * 24

select your cell and then format:cells:custom and enter a format of [hh]:mm:ss

Enter your time in that cell 18:22:13 (say cell A1)

In b1 typr =A1*24

Change thje format to general and your done.

Mike

Old July 4th 07, 11:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toppers

Multiply by 24 and format cell as General.

=A1*24

a1=128:24:12 (formatted as [h]:mm:ss)

Format of [h]:mm:ss allows hours of > 24 to be displayed. 128:24:12 with
hh:mm:ss would be display as 8:24:12 [removing 120 (5*24 hours)].

Old July 4th 07, 12:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ary

I don't think I understand. When I do this, I get a completely different time:

A1 A2 =A1*24
126:47:59 19:11:36

I need it to read 126:47:59 and give me 126.7997
--
-Ary

Old July 4th 07, 12:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toppers

format A2 as GENERAL

Old July 4th 07, 12:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toppers

or number per Pete's reply.