Display Binary Leading Zeros

Old February 23rd 05, 10:39 PM
tocuin hollisgroup com>

Default Display Binary Leading Zeros

All,

Forgive me if I'm just obtuse, but I can't seem to get Excel to display the
leading zeros of binary numbers. (I'm just doing up an ASC/DEC/HEX/BIN cheat
sheet.)

Formatting the cells as "Custom :: 00000000" doesn't work.

Any ideas as to how I do it?

Thanks in advance!

Thomas
Old February 23rd 05, 10:57 PM
Carole O

If this is just a cheat sheet - with no computation involved, try putting a '
in front of the zeros ('0000). The ' won't show in the cell or when you
print it out.

HTH,

Carole O

Old February 24th 05, 02:12 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:39:11 -0800, tocuin hollisgroup com> <tquinn<atdot>
wrote:

>All,
>
>Forgive me if I'm just obtuse, but I can't seem to get Excel to display the
>leading zeros of binary numbers. (I'm just doing up an ASC/DEC/HEX/BIN cheat
>sheet.)
>
>Formatting the cells as "Custom :: 00000000" doesn't work.
>
>Any ideas as to how I do it?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Thomas

How are you generating your binary numbers?

If you are using the ATP function, DEC2BIN, then you should use the optional
"places" argument: e.g. =DEC2BIN(A1,8)

Your custom format won't work as the output of DEC2BIN is a text string, and
not a number (even though it looks like one)

Is this sort of the output format you want?

=====================================
ASC BIN DEC HEX
1 00110001 49 31
2 00110010 50 32