A Microsoft Excel forum. ExcelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ExcelBanter forum » Excel Newsgroups » Excel Discussion (Misc queries)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

How do I make one column or row always visible?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 2nd 07, 07:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ao
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default How do I make one column or row always visible?

I have a column of names with a bunch of information in subsequent columns,
but I want to be able to see the names column no matter how far over I scroll
in the worksheet, and haven't been able to figure out where to set that.
Thanks,
Ads
  #2  
Old May 2nd 07, 08:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jason
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 367
Default How do I make one column or row always visible?

Window...split...then highlight the rows and cols you always want to
see...and freeze them.

Enjoy!
--
//Jason


"Ao" wrote:

> I have a column of names with a bunch of information in subsequent columns,
> but I want to be able to see the names column no matter how far over I scroll
> in the worksheet, and haven't been able to figure out where to set that.
> Thanks,

  #3  
Old May 2nd 07, 08:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ao
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default How do I make one column or row always visible?

Hmm, That definitely has the effect that I want, but for some reason I can't
get it to freeze just the column I want - it's freezing some other columns as
well.

"Jason" wrote:

> Window...split...then highlight the rows and cols you always want to
> see...and freeze them.
>
> Enjoy!
> --
> //Jason
>
>
> "Ao" wrote:
>
> > I have a column of names with a bunch of information in subsequent columns,
> > but I want to be able to see the names column no matter how far over I scroll
> > in the worksheet, and haven't been able to figure out where to set that.
> > Thanks,

  #4  
Old May 2nd 07, 08:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,069
Default How do I make one column or row always visible?

if you want to freeze column A and row 1 then click in cell B2 and then
window>freeze panes
--
John
MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003
Please reply & rate any replies you get

Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)


"Ao" wrote:

> I have a column of names with a bunch of information in subsequent columns,
> but I want to be able to see the names column no matter how far over I scroll
> in the worksheet, and haven't been able to figure out where to set that.
> Thanks,

  #5  
Old May 2nd 07, 08:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jason
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 367
Default How do I make one column or row always visible?

John notes a neat trick in his response (I will have to try that one out -
thanks )

With the split option, you have to drag the additional frames around and
frame up what you want on the left and the top (i am assuming that is the
location of the names and title row labels. Ctrl+click the columns and rows
(the header letters and row numbers) you want to keep visible (in the
leftmost and topmost frames) and freeze.

GL!
--
//Jason


"Ao" wrote:

> Hmm, That definitely has the effect that I want, but for some reason I can't
> get it to freeze just the column I want - it's freezing some other columns as
> well.
>
> "Jason" wrote:
>
> > Window...split...then highlight the rows and cols you always want to
> > see...and freeze them.
> >
> > Enjoy!
> > --
> > //Jason
> >
> >
> > "Ao" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a column of names with a bunch of information in subsequent columns,
> > > but I want to be able to see the names column no matter how far over I scroll
> > > in the worksheet, and haven't been able to figure out where to set that.
> > > Thanks,

  #6  
Old May 2nd 07, 08:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ao
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default How do I make one column or row always visible?

Nice, that's the ticket. Thanks guys

"Jason" wrote:

> John notes a neat trick in his response (I will have to try that one out -
> thanks )
>
> With the split option, you have to drag the additional frames around and
> frame up what you want on the left and the top (i am assuming that is the
> location of the names and title row labels. Ctrl+click the columns and rows
> (the header letters and row numbers) you want to keep visible (in the
> leftmost and topmost frames) and freeze.
>
> GL!
> --
> //Jason
>
>
> "Ao" wrote:
>
> > Hmm, That definitely has the effect that I want, but for some reason I can't
> > get it to freeze just the column I want - it's freezing some other columns as
> > well.
> >
> > "Jason" wrote:
> >
> > > Window...split...then highlight the rows and cols you always want to
> > > see...and freeze them.
> > >
> > > Enjoy!
> > > --
> > > //Jason
> > >
> > >
> > > "Ao" wrote:
> > >
> > > > I have a column of names with a bunch of information in subsequent columns,
> > > > but I want to be able to see the names column no matter how far over I scroll
> > > > in the worksheet, and haven't been able to figure out where to set that.
> > > > Thanks,

  #7  
Old May 2nd 07, 09:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Paul B
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 709
Default How do I make one column or row always visible?

Ao, select a cell B1 or B2 maybe and then window, freeze panes
--
Paul B
Always backup your data before trying something new
Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it
Feedback on answers is always appreciated!
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Ao" > wrote in message
...
>I have a column of names with a bunch of information in subsequent columns,
> but I want to be able to see the names column no matter how far over I
> scroll
> in the worksheet, and haven't been able to figure out where to set that.
> Thanks,



  #8  
Old May 2nd 07, 11:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 903
Default How do I make one column or row always visible?

And for printing it is controlled from
File, Print setup, sheets
Rows to repeat at top: $1:$1
Columns to repeat at left: $A:$A

Freeze Panes for view and Repeat row/col headings for printing
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/freeze.htm

---
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel
My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm

"Ao" > wrote in message ...
> Nice, that's the ticket. Thanks guys
>
> "Jason" wrote:
>
> > John notes a neat trick in his response (I will have to try that one out -
> > thanks )
> >
> > With the split option, you have to drag the additional frames around and
> > frame up what you want on the left and the top (i am assuming that is the
> > location of the names and title row labels. Ctrl+click the columns and rows
> > (the header letters and row numbers) you want to keep visible (in the
> > leftmost and topmost frames) and freeze.
> >
> > GL!
> > --
> > //Jason
> >
> >
> > "Ao" wrote:
> >
> > > Hmm, That definitely has the effect that I want, but for some reason I can't
> > > get it to freeze just the column I want - it's freezing some other columns as
> > > well.
> > >
> > > "Jason" wrote:
> > >
> > > > Window...split...then highlight the rows and cols you always want to
> > > > see...and freeze them.
> > > >
> > > > Enjoy!
> > > > --
> > > > //Jason
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > "Ao" wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > I have a column of names with a bunch of information in subsequent columns,
> > > > > but I want to be able to see the names column no matter how far over I scroll
> > > > > in the worksheet, and haven't been able to figure out where to set that.
> > > > > Thanks,



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can I make a drop down box visible within a worksheet? skittles_golf Excel Worksheet Functions 40 May 19th 10 07:43 PM
How do I make JUST the header row always visible in Excel? t.261 Excel Worksheet Functions 2 October 30th 06 06:02 PM
how do i make all choices in a drop down box visible taidoggy Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 October 11th 06 02:48 PM
How can I make the bar that shows the content of the cell visible. ZG Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 January 8th 05 07:27 PM
better search: "make worksheet visible" christo Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 December 1st 04 12:20 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.