Excel 2002: How to draw an oval shape outline to the worksheet?

Old April 27th 07, 02:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mr. Low

Default Excel 2002: How to draw an oval shape outline to the worksheet?

Dear Sir,

I need to draw an oval shape to circle up a group of figures in the
worksheet for explanation purpose.

However when I use the drawing tool at the drawing tool bar, the oval shape
I have on the spreadsheet always superimposed on the figures. Another words
the oval shape is filled and I cannot read anything that is circled.

May I know how to get only the oval shape outline only?

Thanks

Low

--
A36B58K641
Old April 27th 07, 02:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike H

Right click the shape, Format autoshape - colours & Lines and set
transparency to 100%.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Old April 27th 07, 04:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj

double click on the oval and select no fill for the fill options

Old April 27th 07, 08:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Mr. Low

Set transparency to 100%.

I like this macro. Allows for multiple selections.

Sub My_Circle()
Dim x, y As Single, area As Range
'rotate through areas - this allows multiple circles to be drawn
For Each area In Selection.Areas
With area
' x and y are numbers that are a function of the
' area's height and width
x = .Height * 0.2
y = .Width * 0.2
ActiveSheet.Ovals.Add Top:=.Top - x, Left:=.Left - y, _
Height:=.Height + 2 * x, Width:=.Width + 2 * y
ActiveSheet.Ovals(ActiveSheet.Ovals.Count) _
.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
End With
Next area
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Old April 30th 07, 02:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mr. Low

Hello BJ,

Thanks, It works

Low
--
A36B58K641

Old April 30th 07, 02:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mr. Low

Hello Mike,

Thanks, I have got it.

Low

--
A36B58K641

Old April 30th 07, 02:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mr. Low

Helo Gord,

Thanks, It works

Low
--
A36B58K641

Old April 30th 07, 02:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mr. Low

Hello Gord,

Thanks, it works.

Low

--
A36B58K641

Old September 22nd 08, 02:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kennected

Can I jump in here with a related question?
Is there anyway to change the autoshape properties to default with
transparent ovals rather than having to change then after they are drawn?

Old September 22nd 08, 09:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

No.

You could use VBA to insert transparent ovals where you wish.

Here is sample code for drawing a transparent ellipse around a selection or
multiple selections of cells.

Sub My_Circle()
Dim X, y As Single, area As Range
'rotate through areas - this allows multiple circles to be drawn
For Each area In Selection.Areas
With area
' x and y are numbers that are a function of the
' area's height and width
X = .Height * 0.2
y = .Width * 0.2
ActiveSheet.Ovals.Add Top:=.Top - X, Left:=.Left - y, _
Height:=.Height + 2 * X, Width:=.Width + 2 * y
ActiveSheet.Ovals(ActiveSheet.Ovals.Count) _
.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone
End With
Next area
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 18:22:17 -0700, kennected