Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Help: Trying to get hours for 11pm-7am shift

I have a third shift and using excel to calculate time 10:30 to 7am all the
other shifts calculate fine useing =sum((A6-A5)*24(A4-A3)*24), But useing
this formula the third shift comes out in negative numbers any suggestions.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Trying to get hours for 11pm-7am shift

Your formula isn't valid syntax. If you've got a formula in your
spreadsheet it's safest to copy it from the formula bar to the newsgroup,
rather than retyping it with errors.

Did you mean =SUM((A6-A5)*24,(A4-A3)*24) ?

If your problem is with going beyond midnight, it's worth using the
MOD(...,1) construct.

Try =24*(MOD(A6-A5,1)+MOD(A4-A3,1))
--
David Biddulph

"Caramon6561" wrote in message
I have a third shift and using excel to calculate time 10:30 to 7am all the
other shifts calculate fine useing =sum((A6-A5)*24(A4-A3)*24), But useing
this formula the third shift comes out in negative numbers any
suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes thats what i meant sorry. what i'm trying to do is basic i guess IN
punch, OUT punch for lunch back IN punch from luck and OUT punch at the end
of the day with the total hours for that day and a total for the week at the
bottom.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Your formula isn't valid syntax. If you've got a formula in your
spreadsheet it's safest to copy it from the formula bar to the newsgroup,
rather than retyping it with errors.

Did you mean =SUM((A6-A5)*24,(A4-A3)*24) ?

If your problem is with going beyond midnight, it's worth using the
MOD(...,1) construct.

Try =24*(MOD(A6-A5,1)+MOD(A4-A3,1))
--
David Biddulph

"Caramon6561" wrote in message
I have a third shift and using excel to calculate time 10:30 to 7am all the
other shifts calculate fine useing =sum((A6-A5)*24(A4-A3)*24), But useing
this formula the third shift comes out in negative numbers any
suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You need to format the cell to be in number format, not in a date format. It
is probably giving you a year in 1900. Also your answer will be in days. To
convert it to hours multiply by 24. Minutes multiple by 24 * 60 = 1440.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Your formula isn't valid syntax. If you've got a formula in your
spreadsheet it's safest to copy it from the formula bar to the newsgroup,
rather than retyping it with errors.

Did you mean =SUM((A6-A5)*24,(A4-A3)*24) ?

If your problem is with going beyond midnight, it's worth using the
MOD(...,1) construct.

Try =24*(MOD(A6-A5,1)+MOD(A4-A3,1))
--
David Biddulph

"Caramon6561" wrote in message
I have a third shift and using excel to calculate time 10:30 to 7am all the
other shifts calculate fine useing =sum((A6-A5)*24(A4-A3)*24), But useing
this formula the third shift comes out in negative numbers any
suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think you need to change the results to a number format. Time starts Jan
1, 1900.

If you are trying to get the difference between two dates 4/15/07 - 4/14/07
this gives you 1 which in time format is Jan 1, 1900. In number format it
gives you a 1.