add zeros in front of numbers

Old March 29th 07, 05:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dlb1228

Default add zeros in front of numbers

i have an acct# field and want to add 000 in front

585
00125
00356
12

i want to add 00 to 585 and 000 to 12 to make all the same length is
there some place to set this
Old March 29th 07, 05:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

Custom format

00000

If you need to export is as text with leading zeros use a help column and a
formula

=TEXT(A1,"00000")

copy down, select the range and copy and paste special as values in place

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

Old March 29th 07, 05:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John

try the custom format of 00000 in the cells
--
John
MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003

Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)

Old March 29th 07, 05:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Toppers

Custom format as 00000.

This only changes the "appearance" of the number.