calculating number of weeks between two dates

Old March 28th 07, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
vnsrod2000

Default calculating number of weeks between two dates

Hello. I have three columns:
end date
duration
What function do I use to calculate the number of weeks the dates entered in
the first two columns?

Thanks.
Old March 28th 07, 07:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Britt

Hey there,

First make sure these cells are formatted as dates (and not text)
Ensure you have the ATP (go to tools, add-ins and check the box next to
Analysis Toolpak)
Then use the NETWORKDAYS function (formula)
for instance
col A = start date
col B = end date
col C = duration (in working days)
(opt) col D = could be the number of weeks or any other calculation

For example, col C will be your formula...
If A1 = 3/16/07
If B1 = 4/2/07
C1 will need the following pasted into it:

=NETWORKDAYS(A1,B1)

This formula calculates the number of working days between 2 dates.
Your result here should be 12

You could then do a SUM function in the next column to divide the network
days to give you an approx week calculation

Hope it helps!
-Britt

Old March 28th 07, 07:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
vnsrod2000

To show the weeks in my 3rd column, I used:
=(networkdays(A1,B1))/5
and it seems to work. Is this an accurate way to modify the formula to show
weeks?

Thanks!

Old March 28th 07, 08:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BoniM

If start date is column A and end date is in column B and both are formated
as dates, then for row 2 the calculation would be =(B2-A2)/7.
For this data:
Start Date End Date Weeks
3/12/2007 4/14/2007 4.7143
The result if formatted as number with 4 decimal places, so you can see it's
almost 4 1/2 weeks. If you just want it to round to the nearest number of
weeks, set the decimals to zero (which in this case would round to 5). If
you want to show full weeks only enter the formula:
=INT((B3-A3)/7)
which would return an answer of 4.

Old March 28th 07, 08:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Teethless mama

=WEEKNUM(B1)-WEEKNUM(A1)