A Microsoft Excel forum. ExcelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ExcelBanter forum » Excel Newsgroups » Excel Discussion (Misc queries)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Highlight highest / lowest number in a row



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 28th 07, 11:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Highlight highest / lowest number in a row

Hi,

How do you highlight the highest / lowest number in a row?

Example -

Jan - 77.9, 83.5, 88.9, 67.1
Feb - 91.1, 85.9, 73.8, 83.2

How do you make it to highlight 88.9 since it is the highest among row
for Jan
91.1 for Feb?

I may need to highlight for the lowest number as well in other sheets.

Thank you!!!!

Ads
  #2  
Old March 28th 07, 11:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ed Ferrero
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 115
Default Highlight highest / lowest number in a row

You can do this with conditional formatting.

Suppose that your series is in row 2.
Select cell B2. Format -> Conditional Formatting...
Condition 1 - Select Formula Is
- enter formula =B2=MAX(2:2)
- click on Format and select a pattern
Click on Add
Condition 2 - Select Formula Is
- enter formula =B2=MIN(2:2)
- click on Format and select a pattern
Click OK
Select the cell you have just formatted, click the Format Painter button,
apply to whole row.

Ed Ferrero
http://www.edferrero.com


> Hi,
>
> How do you highlight the highest / lowest number in a row?
>
> Example -
>
> Jan - 77.9, 83.5, 88.9, 67.1
> Feb - 91.1, 85.9, 73.8, 83.2
>
> How do you make it to highlight 88.9 since it is the highest among row
> for Jan
> 91.1 for Feb?
>
> I may need to highlight for the lowest number as well in other sheets.
>
> Thank you!!!!
>



  #3  
Old March 30th 07, 04:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Highlight highest / lowest number in a row

Thanks! I did a test, it works but there is some issue that happened.

Column A is for the month.

Say, the month is Jan in cell A1, Feb in cell A2

For some reasons, when I format the date in column A to make them to
display as
Jan 07, Feb 07, Mar 07.. so on.

The condition for highlighting the maximum of the cells got removed.

Leaving the minimum condition that could work.

What can I do to fix that?

Thank you!!

Thanks!
On Mar 28, 6:41 pm, "Ed Ferrero" > wrote:
> You can do this with conditional formatting.
>
> Suppose that your series is in row 2.
> Select cell B2. Format -> Conditional Formatting...
> Condition 1 - Select Formula Is
> - enter formula =B2=MAX(2:2)
> - click on Format and select a pattern
> Click on Add
> Condition 2 - Select Formula Is
> - enter formula =B2=MIN(2:2)
> - click on Format and select a pattern
> Click OK
> Select the cell you have just formatted, click the Format Painter button,
> apply to whole row.
>
> Ed Ferrerohttp://www.edferrero.com
>
>
>
> > Hi,

>
> > How do you highlight the highest / lowest number in a row?

>
> > Example -

>
> > Jan - 77.9, 83.5, 88.9, 67.1
> > Feb - 91.1, 85.9, 73.8, 83.2

>
> > How do you make it to highlight 88.9 since it is the highest among row
> > for Jan
> > 91.1 for Feb?

>
> > I may need to highlight for the lowest number as well in other sheets.

>
> > Thank you!!!!- Hide quoted text -

>
> - Show quoted text -



  #4  
Old April 1st 07, 02:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ed Ferrero
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 115
Default Highlight highest / lowest number in a row

Excel dates are stored as numbers, for instance 1-1-2007 is 39083, and will
display as a date if the cell is formatted with a date format.

So applying the conditional format with the formula =B2=MAX(2:2) will
identify cell B1 (containing the date) as the largest number in row 2.

To get around this, either change the dates in column A to text, or change
the conditional formula to =B2=LARGE(2:2,2). This finds the second largest
number in row 2. Be careful, if you have large numbers in the row, this
formula will highlight the date in column A instead of the largest number in
your data.

Ed Ferrero

> Thanks! I did a test, it works but there is some issue that happened.
>
> Column A is for the month.
>
> Say, the month is Jan in cell A1, Feb in cell A2
>
> For some reasons, when I format the date in column A to make them to
> display as
> Jan 07, Feb 07, Mar 07.. so on.
>
> The condition for highlighting the maximum of the cells got removed.
>
> Leaving the minimum condition that could work.
>
> What can I do to fix that?
>
> Thank you!!
>
> Thanks!
> On Mar 28, 6:41 pm, "Ed Ferrero" > wrote:
>> You can do this with conditional formatting.
>>
>> Suppose that your series is in row 2.
>> Select cell B2. Format -> Conditional Formatting...
>> Condition 1 - Select Formula Is
>> - enter formula =B2=MAX(2:2)
>> - click on Format and select a pattern
>> Click on Add
>> Condition 2 - Select Formula Is
>> - enter formula =B2=MIN(2:2)
>> - click on Format and select a pattern
>> Click OK
>> Select the cell you have just formatted, click the Format Painter button,
>> apply to whole row.
>>
>> Ed Ferrerohttp://www.edferrero.com
>>
>>
>>
>> > Hi,

>>
>> > How do you highlight the highest / lowest number in a row?

>>
>> > Example -

>>
>> > Jan - 77.9, 83.5, 88.9, 67.1
>> > Feb - 91.1, 85.9, 73.8, 83.2

>>
>> > How do you make it to highlight 88.9 since it is the highest among row
>> > for Jan
>> > 91.1 for Feb?

>>
>> > I may need to highlight for the lowest number as well in other sheets.

>>
>> > Thank you!!!!- Hide quoted text -

>>
>> - Show quoted text -

>
>



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
highlight highest and lowest cells within a given column in ex Tim New Users to Excel 0 November 29th 06 11:36 PM
highlight highest and lowest cells within a given column in excel CLR New Users to Excel 0 November 29th 06 03:28 PM
highlight highest and lowest cells within a given column in excel Tim New Users to Excel 0 November 29th 06 01:33 PM
Sort from lowest to highest Steved Excel Worksheet Functions 7 September 10th 05 09:49 PM
Highlight lowest number Amber M Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 January 12th 05 01:19 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.