Why can't I click the Subtotal button?

Old March 11th 07, 06:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
mlanger

Default Why can't I click the Subtotal button?

I'm trying to add subtotals to a table. I'm following the Help instructions,
which tell me to click the Subtotal button. But the Subtotal button is not
active, so I can't click it. What's going on?

I'm using Excel 2007 on Windows Vista.
Old March 11th 07, 06:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi

Mark your range of data, then from the Data tab select Subtotals

--
Regards

Roger Govier

Old March 11th 07, 07:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
mlanger

This does not work if the list is set up as a Table using the Table feature.
I discovered that if I removed the table feature, I could get it to work by
just clicking in any cell of the list. But thanks for your suggestion. I
appreciate the fast response.

Frankly, I think Microsoft's treatment of the database feature is
inconsistent and unfriendly in Office 2007.

Old March 12th 07, 08:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi

I think this is possibly because the Insert>Table automatically has
filters built in, and any summary calculations are already set up using
the Subtotal() function.

Microsoft probably consider (as do I) that a Pivot Table is a better way
of analysing data than using Subtotals.
However, they have left the feature in which you can access if you wish,
(as you have found), by converting the table back to a range.

This behaviour is the same as it has been since Data>Lists was
introduced in XL2002 and is not new to XL2007.

--
Regards

Roger Govier