Fill down Multiple Rows?

Old February 21st 07, 06:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Katie

Default Fill down Multiple Rows?

This is my question... I have a report generated from access that lists
information in a "tree" like format with the parent information, and then kid
information (it varies how many lines) in the next column over. Is there a
way to copy each parent org below itself so that each row has a parent name
in it?

In the example below, I want something that can help me drag down the org
names into each box below it. Is this possible?

For example;

ABCD Corp John Smith
Jane Doe
1234 Corp George Michael
Bill Rogers
Jim Greene

Old February 21st 07, 07:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sean Timmons

My way:

in the cell directly below ABCD corp, type =A2 (or whatever cell the above
value is in).
copy the formula
Highlight the entire column
Edit > Go To
Special
Blanks

Paste your formula
Copy the column and paste Special/Values to get rid of the formula.

Old February 21st 07, 07:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Debra Dalgleish shares some techniques:
http://contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html

Old February 21st 07, 07:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Katie

Select the org names column and F5>Special>Blanks>OK

Type an = sign in the active cell then click on or up arrow to the cell above.

Hit CTRL + ENTER to copy down.

When happy, select tha column and Edit>Copy.

Edit>Paste Special(in place)>Values>OK>Esc.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Old February 21st 07, 08:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Katie

Sean,

I agree this would work if it was the same number of entries for each
parent, but it varies per parent info in the first column. Sometimes there is
one name, sometimes there's 15. Would this still work?

Old February 21st 07, 08:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Katie

Okay- this is awesome! Thank you so much!

I had never used that "go to" menu before. I think I might try to play
around with it! Thank you all!