Formatting TRUE/FALSE to 1/0

Old February 19th 07, 12:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Smallweed

Default Formatting TRUE/FALSE to 1/0

It's nice to use TRUEs and FALSEs in simple calculations (such as add and
multiply) where TRUE cells are treated by Excel as having a value of 1 and
FALSE cells 0 - although it is strange that =SUM treats them all as 0.

Does anyone know a way of formatting logical cells to actually display 1 for
TRUE and 0 for FALSE?

Obviously one could put together a macro or UDF that physically converted
these values but I would ideally like some kind of Excel format.
Old February 19th 07, 12:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
joel

You can do it yourself with a if statement

if(a1, 1, 0)

Old February 19th 07, 12:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Smallweed

Thanks but that's another column, not a format.

Old February 19th 07, 12:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Biddulph

.... or just =--A1
--
David Biddulph

Old February 19th 07, 12:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Not a format, it is not a number so format does not apply.

Change the formula to return 1 or 0, for instance

=(U1="")

--
---
HTH

Bob

Old February 19th 07, 01:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 04:18:16 -0800, Smallweed
> wrote:

>It's nice to use TRUEs and FALSEs in simple calculations (such as add and
>multiply) where TRUE cells are treated by Excel as having a value of 1 and
>FALSE cells 0 - although it is strange that =SUM treats them all as 0.
>
>Does anyone know a way of formatting logical cells to actually display 1 for
>TRUE and 0 for FALSE?
>
>Obviously one could put together a macro or UDF that physically converted
>these values but I would ideally like some kind of Excel format.

The number formats only apply to cells that contain numbers.

If you want to display 1 or 0, you would have to convert the logical results to
numbers, perhaps by preceding your formula with a double unary.

e.g. =--(your_formula_that_returns_TRUE/FALSE)

--ron
Old February 19th 07, 02:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I wouldn't do this.

I think it causes other problems later on, but you could use:
Tools|Options|transition tab|Check Transition formula evalation.

If you do this, remember that you changed this setting when you're debugging
other stuff that looks fine--but just doesn't work the way you think it should.

Old February 19th 07, 02:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Smallweed

Thanks for all the replies; I especially like the double unary as a neat
method of, in effect, multiplying by 1. (Incidentally I did a search on that
and was interested to see that you can also use this -- prefix for the lookup
value in a VLOOKUP in case your lookup value is text and the first column of
the lookup table is numbers - useful if unrelated!).

As Bob says, TRUE/FALSE are not numbers so I guess we should just be
grateful they return 1 and 0 in simple calculations (and aren't -1 and 0 as
they are in VBA).

Looking at it the other way around, it would be nice if Excel could format
1s and 0s to TRUEs and FALSEs for use in truth tables, e.g.

A B A x B
TRUE TRUE TRUE
TRUE FALSE FALSE
FALSE TRUE FALSE
FALSE FALSE FALSE

You can fiddle it with the number format "TRUE";;"FALSE" but this goes wrong
(strangely) for a typed 0.

Old February 19th 07, 02:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Smallweed

Actually the "TRUE";;"FALSE" format has suddenly started working for me for
typed zeroes in a new sheet.

Old February 19th 07, 03:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 06:57:10 -0800, Smallweed
> wrote:

>Actually the "TRUE";;"FALSE" format has suddenly started working for me for
>typed zeroes in a new sheet.

Yes it should. You are formatting a number to display TRUE or FALSE. In your
original request, you wanted to opposite (type TRUE or FALSE, and display a
number).

Of course, any positive number will display TRUE; so if someone accidently
typed in a 2 or 10, you might see TRUE, but any mathematic operation would
perhaps not give the expected results.

You could perhaps use the custom format:

[=1]"TRUE";[=0]"FALSE";General

That would display TRUE for a typed in 1; FALSE for a typed in 0; and the
actual value if you typed in anything else.

--ron