Excel 2007 error "some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types. Select a different chart types"

Old February 16th 07, 02:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
roadsidetree

Default Excel 2007 error "some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types. Select a different chart types"

Hi,

I have installed Excel 2007, and I can't create any chart, the message
"Some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types. Select a different chart types"

keeps poping up, are there any settings that i have miss out?

thank you

regards

kh

Old February 16th 07, 06:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

This happens with any chart at all that you try to create?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

Old February 17th 07, 02:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
roadsidetree

Ya, any chart, i can't do column, line, pie, bar, area, scatter and all
others.

i can do smartart and shapes.

i wonder why.

kh

Old February 17th 07, 04:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
JLatham

Default Excel 2007 error "some chart types cannot be combined with oth

I don't have answer for why not any charts. I've managed to get scatter
charts to work in 2007 and that is the only type I've really tried. My only
guess at this point would be a bad install of Excel? But wait for more
Although trying a repair installation may help.

As for why no charts but art/shapes are ok - could very well be that charts
is done with a different 'engine'. I do know that the chart engine for 2007
is a whole new beast, not just a port over from 2003.

Old February 18th 07, 02:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
roadsidetree

Thanks for the replies, actually i have tried repair,
uninstall-reboot-reinstall. but still none of the charts works. i think i'm
not the only one facing the problem, found 2 postings in google group that
mentioned the same problem.

i'm running Windows 2003 standard edition, upgraded from office 2003 to
office 2007.

thank you
kh

Old August 21st 08, 07:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
mark has

Default Office 2007: Excel 2007 error "some chart types cannotbe combined with others

Had this problem as well.
Not sure if its the exact same one.
I was able to insert charts with all other user accounts except my own.
If you can do that, then its likely that its the same issue.
This is what I did to fix it.
<Disclaimer: be prepared to re-enter any application settings you have had before!>

1. Log in a local Admin - Very IMPORTANT!
2. Navigate to 'Documents and Settings'
3. Locate the problematic user account folder i.e. the one that is giving the chart error above...
4. BACK IT UP (to another drive)
5. Confirm back up done... then delete everything in that user account - all files and folders.
What this does effectively is wiping out all Local Settings for that user account (and any cache that Office has created, so beware!)
6. Log out as local Admin and log in as the user that had the chart problem. Windows will now initiate a new clean setup for the user (basically it takes parameters from 'default user')
7. At this point launch excel and do a simple list and try creating the chart.
This worked for me... hope it does for you.
Old August 21st 08, 04:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Your "fix" doesn't address the subject line of the thread. How does hosing a
user account allow a user to combine chart types which Excel does not allow
to be combined?

- Jon
-------

Old October 18th 08, 05:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
nick

Default Office 2007: Excel 2007 error "some chart types cannot be comb

Hi I have this problem as well
and the 'fix' did work, at the expense of me having to reset all my personal
settings..
however, this 'fix' is only temporary until after a while the same error
pops up again when i try to insert charts in excel 2007

Anyone has any other solutions?

Old October 18th 08, 05:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

What chart types could you not combine before this draconian fix, that you
could combine after applying it?

- Jon
-------

Old October 26th 08, 04:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
nick

all charts?
and to add on, opening files containing charts create problems.
- excel files with excel2007 charts -> error in opening
- excel files with excel2003 charts -> charts will not be shown

i have since moved back to office 2003, seems like office07 doesnt really
like me :/