Excel calculation of duration in hours and minutes

Old February 9th 07, 03:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel calculation of duration in hours and minutes

The standard functions in excel allow to calculate duration in hours
and minutes, using the format hh:mm for the result. However; hh:mm is
normally used only for clocktime: any duration of more than 23:59 will
start again from 00:00, whilst the result could be any figure (24:00;
168:00, ...). Does Excel provide a solution?

Old February 9th 07, 03:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SteveW

Format as [h]:mm rather than hh:mm

Steve

Old February 9th 07, 03:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sandy Mann

Yes it does. Try a custom format of [hh]:mm

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

with @tiscali.co.uk

ups.com...

Old February 9th 07, 03:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Esbee

Great, it works! Thanks for the turbo response. May I add a
complication? The difference between scheduled time and actual time
(Time A - Time B) can also be negative: however, excel does not allow
a negative time-value... Or does it?

Old February 9th 07, 04:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Biddulph

Tools/ Options/ Calculation/ 1904 date system
But if you do that, be careful if you are trying to transfer dates to and
fro with spreadsheets set up with the conventional 1900 system.
--
David Biddulph

oups.com...