Pivot Tables show actual name rather then "Column Labels"

Old January 9th 07, 08:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SQL2005_rocks

Default Pivot Tables show actual name rather then "Column Labels"

Why do Excel 2007 Pivot Tables show the text "Column Labels" and "Row Labels"
in the header rather than the actual name of the dimension fields in use?
I've found the "Field Headers" option / button to hide them, but I’d really
like to see what is actually being used. This applies to printing too.

In other words, rather then:

Internet Sales Amount Column Labels
Row Labels 0-1 miles ...
Australia $1,322,953.97
Canada $232,546.64

I'd rather have:

Internet Sales Amount Commute Distance
Customer Geography 0-1 miles ...
Australia $1,322,953.97
Canada $232,546.64

Old January 10th 07, 02:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Debra Dalgleish

Select a cell in the pivot table
On the ribbon, click PivotTable Tools, then click the Design tab
In the Layout group, click Report Layout
Choose Show in Outline Form or Show in Tabular Form

SQL2005_rocks wrote:
> Why do Excel 2007 Pivot Tables show the text "Column Labels" and "Row Labels"
> in the header rather than the actual name of the dimension fields in use?
> I've found the "Field Headers" option / button to hide them, but I’d really
> like to see what is actually being used. This applies to printing too.
>
> In other words, rather then:
>
> Internet Sales Amount Column Labels
> Row Labels 0-1 miles ...
> Australia $1,322,953.97
> Canada $232,546.64
>
> I'd rather have:
>
> Internet Sales Amount Commute Distance
> Customer Geography 0-1 miles ...
> Australia $1,322,953.97
> Canada $232,546.64

Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Old January 10th 07, 03:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SQL2005_rocks

Default Pivot Tables should show actual name rather then "Column Labels"

Thanks Debra, that gets me "Country | State | City ..." but it still does
not show the name of the dimension ("Customer Geography"). How about a
better example: In AdventureWorks if you choose ShipDate.Calendar as a
dimension, Excell 2007 only shows: "Calander Year | Calendar Semester |
Calendar Quarter...". There is NO WAY to tell if this is the ShipDate or
OrderDate or any other date!

This seems like a show stopper Excel 2007 bug.

Tom

Old February 9th 07, 05:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KC

Default Pivot Tables should show actual name rather then "Column Label

Have you solved the problem? Please share your solution. Thanks

Old February 13th 07, 05:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KC

I found the solution by playing around the report. All you need to to do is
to chage the default report layout under the design menu from "Compact" to

Old February 13th 07, 06:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Debra Dalgleish

That's what I suggested in my earlier reply: